Peanut butter vs regular butter

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Gelsemium • Feb 28, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What do you prefer, peanut butter or regular butter? I know that in the US everyone eats peanut butter, but we can't eat it as often as regular butter right, it's not healthy. And it's way more expensive! What's your opinion?

2. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Are you joking me? Peanut butter is healthier than butter? I find that so hard to believe, peanut butter has a lot of fat! For me it's almost like a treat and I eat it once a week at the most...

3. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    Peanut butter has a lot of fat, but regular butter IS fat. Peanut butter offers some protein, some fiber and a lot of fat as well as peanut based vitamins and minerals. Butter offers dairy based vitamins and minerals on the good side, but contains mostly fat cholesterol and salt on the bad side.
    Limit your consumption of both. I would opt for peanut butter if I had to choose one.

4. Gelsemium

Threads:
    OK, you're right, butter is fat indeed, maybe I am confusing regular butter with vegetable butter, I think this last one might be much healthier than regular butter of animal origin. I find hard to believe that peanut butter is healthy at all, even though it's delicious.

5. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    I like them both for their own uses.

I use butter as most people do, for bread and stuff. But I use peanut butter mainly for making shakes and smoothies.

6. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I use butter for the same thing you do, but I use peanut butter to put in the bread too and on top I put honey, it's delicious. I don't often make shakes or smoothies, what do you mix the peanut butter with?

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use them both. They are completely different and have different uses. If I was trapped in a bomb shelter and could only have one, I guess I would choose peanut butter because it has more value as an actual food. I think of dairy butter as a spread, condiment or a baking ingredient, while peanut butter is more of a food that you could actually eat for energy if you were in a desperate situation.
    When I was a poor college student, I ate a lot of peanut butter sandwiches to keep going.

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not American, so I sadly never really got into the peanut butter bandwagon..... I don't like the consistency of peanut butter, it's weird to chew and swallow... It's too chewy and gets on the teeth, I find it weird to eat!! I love the taste, but the consistency is not for me. I do love regular butter, so naturally that is my pick between peanut butter and regular butter.

9. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yes, it's something not from my culture either, but I tasted it and loved it, especially with honey. It tastes so good that I doubt that it's healthy that is why I don't eat it very often, I'm afraid something wrong might happen to me with so much peanut butter!

10. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    Well, they're two totally different things. I don't really like peanut butter. I don't know if I've ever bought a jar of peanut butter. I hate the texture of it. And yes, I'm American! I use light, low-fat butter and it's delicious. It's still not "good" for you, but it definitely cuts down on a lot of the fat and cholesterol.

11. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Well, I've done some research on this and I've found

that really surprised me, they even call peanut butter a diet food? Are they serious?

An American that doesn't like peanut butter is a rare case casey! :p

12. khillis

khillisMember

Threads:
    I eat both as well, but limit myself. If I'm cooking, I opt for olive oil. I actually went to the farmers market yesterday and bought some maple butter. It's not technically butter; but I had it on a scone and it was delicious. I'm from Canada, so we use maple syrup in a variety of ways. There are alternatives to butter and peanut butter, look into other options.

13. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't eat either of them. I am allergic to dairy and peanut butter makes me feel all clogged up. Besides, I hear there is a natural high mould content in peanuts, and I am trying to avoid anything like that. My staple butter is tahini, which is stoneground sesame seeds. I have it with everything. In soups, stir-fries, on pancakes and on crackers. It's very versatile and nutritious. When tahini isn't available, I buy almond or hazelnut butter, but they tend to be expensive. I wouldn't mind investing into a gadget that grinds nuts into a fine paste.

14. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Mold content in peanuts or peanut butter? I find hard to believe that they sell mold (mould?) in the food, that would be totally unhealthy! You are really resourceful, would you really make yourself butter out of almonds, that seems something hard to accomplish!

15. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    This question is irrelevant. These to food products are not directly related to each other at all. Peanut butter cannot be used, as a substitute to regular butter.

16. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Why do you say they cannot substitue each other? I for example eat my bread with butter and peanut butter, so it's a direct substitute, that is why I asked the question in the first place.