Pearls

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by chiofthenorns • Oct 15, 2014.

1. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Do you like pearls?

I don't know why, but for some reason, my coworker really loves pearls. She wears pearl necklace, earrings, rings, etc. I don't see the appeal because for me, pearls are too bulky. I know that they look good if you are wearing a black outfit, but I still don't like them.

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pearls give women that extra sheen. It makes them look elegant. I don't know why you said "bulky" because based on experience, there are different sizes of pearls. The necklaces can be bulky, though. Perhaps your friend isn't so keen on matching her pearls with the right outfit. Pearls are great if used as a choker. They pair well with lacey apparel but you have to wear them sparingly, one jewelry at a time - not all at the same time.

3. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I read on one site about pearls that everyone should know the following:
    Unlike most gems which are formed from hardened ground, pearls are formed by living creatures (impurities enter oysters)
    They are the traditional gift for the 30th wedding anniversary and the birthstone for the month of June (however young women were often given them when entering adulthood)
    If cared for properly, they can last for generations. They are delicate however, so it is best to put them on after applying makeup and making sure to dry them before storing.
    Often a pearl necklace is strung with a knot in between so that if it breaks, you may only loose one pearl. (My husband had a lovely pearl ring made for me and I've lost it! I feel just sick about it, but still hope it is just somewhere in our storage. And so for this reason I can see the knot idea.)

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My mother loves pearls, earrings and necklaces and they do light up the face. You can get smaller pearls as some are big, but they are timeless and elegant. It's hard to tell real pearls from fakes, but you can wear them discreetly and are not ostentatious like diamonds.

5. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Pearls have been popular for decades. Many women have a set of real pearls, and many women have multiple pieces of less expensive or fake ones. I have a string of fake ones that I don't often wear because I forget to put jewelry on most of the time. I think it's just a matter of personal taste. I had a teacher for years who was never seen without her pearls. She didn't wear big bulky ones, just a string of smaller ones.

6. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Are pearls still popular among young women?
    I usually see them on older women, but maybe it's just something that's passed down later in life.
    I personally don't like them very much, I prefer to see some gems.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I never liked them. I also don't see young women wearing them nowadays, mostly it's the older middle aged women that wear it. They look very plain to me. Gold or silver jewelry is much better to look at.

8. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I'm 24 and I have never bought any pearls for myself. When I was 16, my grandmother gave me a pearl necklace that was hers when she was younger. I don't wear it often, usually only for very formal social events. I've worn them to a few weddings, my graduations, and I'll probably wear them at my wedding. Other than that they sit in my jewelry box.

I think they are pretty but they are not something I would/could wear all the time. I prefer to just wear a pair of earrings and maybe a ring. I don't go overboard with jewelry.