PediPaws

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by quitetenacious • Aug 4, 2012.

1. quitetenacious

quitetenaciousNew Member

Threads:
    I need a more efficient way to trim my dog's nails. Has anyone ever tried the PediPaws for their pet's nails before? How did it compare to regular nail trimmers? How did your pet react?

2. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    No, I haven't tried Pedipaws. When I need to trim the nails of my dogs, I use something like this:
    JW_Nail_Trimmer.

It works.

3. koko

kokoBanned

Threads:
    I have two pedipaws that if I even LOOK like I am going to pick them up all three dogs turn invisible. They don't like the sound of it, anything that buzzes. I think it would be more efficient if it was quiet. I have one dog that I use the same clippers Victor uses, one dog that goes to the groomer and I have to stand in front of her and talk while they hold her down and the third...we try and get hers while she is asleep so it takes all day to do a paw

4. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    PediPaws seems an innovative way to eliminate the problem of vet visits to cut the nails of your pet. I have not tried them, but I think it should be a fairly effective method. My dog​​'s nails grow long, and sometimes go to the vet is a problem. I have doubts about the operation of that element, I don´t like to use electrical things on my animals. ¿PediPaws cuts the nails or just wear?

5. couponaholic

couponaholicBanned

Threads:
    I use the clippers shown in the picture above. I tried Pedipaws and my dog gets all freaked out. He won't sit still and it doesn't seem to do that great of a job anyways. I think these devices are kind of overrated. I would stick with dog nail clippers, but be careful with them.

6. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    Not only is Pedipaws a joke (no power to it), but my dog hates it, too. I've used the clippers and twice have cut the quick of my dog's nails. What works for me? I use my husband's regular dremel and can safely and efficiently file down and round out each of my dog's nails and be done in about 3 minutes. She was a little freaked out at the sound of it at the beginning. But I put her on the counter and give her a little treat with each nail she lets me dremel. She soon learned not to be afraid of the sound or the feel of it. And not once have I filed down to the quick. Love it!

7. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    I have to admit that I actually own a PediPaws. My dog is a lapdog and she has never been scared of buzzing noises, so it works for me. It is loud though, despite it's fairly low amount of power. I'd say that if you have a large dog or one that gets freaked out by noises, you're going to have a tough time with this product.

8. quitetenacious

quitetenaciousNew Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the advice. Going by what the commercial said I thought it would be perfect and my impression was it didn't produce alot of noise. I think that I will just go with a standard clipper because my dog does get rather freaked out by just about any type of noise. I am glad I asked for some advice before investing in the product.

9. HughIvar

HughIvarBanned

Threads:
    if you have a large dog or one that gets freaked out by noises, you're going to have a tough time with this product.

--------------------------

10. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    Welcome to exactly why I was afraid of buying this product. I'm afraid that my large breeds dog's nails will be too big for the trimmers. And the noise must be seriously distracting to all dogs, not just nervous ones.

I won't be spending my money on this product.

11. Gussie

GussieMember

Threads:
    I have a PediPaws for my Boston Terriers, and it works great. It helps that I trained them from an early age to tolerate nail trimming. The 'old lady' gives me that "oh, no, I'd really rather not" stuff, but a quick tummy rub and she's good for a paw. The young 'buggy' one doesn't care for it much and gets silly (He's hooked his dewclaws several times and doesn't like to have his nails messed with), but he settles down enough to let me work on them.

My Mom has one, too - her old dogs I had trained young with the same results - they tolerate it without too much fuss, no matter what I use. The last of them passed away, and she has a new rescue Chi-Weenie (Chihuahua-Dachshund) - and she can't get out of the room fast enough!

I think conditioning has a lot to do with it - some will accept it, some won't. But it works pretty gently and if you don't hold the nail in the same exact spot for too long, it won't get heated up and is more comfortable. I tend to move the nail back and forth some, rounding the edge, without leaving it on one spot for long.

12. iluvmario

iluvmarioActive Member

Threads:
    I have Pedipaws. I agree with the other posters. It doesn't matter how well it works if your dogs won't let you use it. ( And they don't) It scares them.

13. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Let me put it to you this way, don't waste your money. You would be much better off with the clippers someone posted above or letting your vet do the clipping for you. Pedipaws isn't a good product, I know because I purchased it for my dog. First of all the thing seem to have a problem with one of its parts then as many have already said the noise scared my dog. It was hard to get my dog to sit still the minute he heard this thing, which made it hard to use it on him. My family wasn't the least bit impressed by the product and I can't recommend.

14. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    If you are apprehensive about using the standard doggie clippers or have had a bad experience with it then pedipaws can be an alternative only if:
    1. You have a lot of time. Even though the file rotates it still takes time for the user to file down the dog's nails.
    2. You have a calm dog that can sit still for around 20 minutes or more. If you have a puppy forget it.
    3. You have a dog that does not get a panic attack when it hears buzzing sounds.

15. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    Our basset hound goes to the groomer. After trying to trim them myself, I decided that his nails are just way too thick for me to do them. I had thought of trying the PediPaws but didn't think he would like the noise. He is very afraid of vacuum cleaners. I asked the vet about PediPaws and he said that the product is a bad idea. The heat generated by the filing action actually does damage to the nails and that it is much better to trim them instead of filing them. I am not sure if that would apply to the dremmel because it would file much quicker than PediPaws would. We tried the tool that Victor posted but I was just not strong enough for the basset hound nails. He gets them trimmed by the groomer when needed and I try to walk him daily to keep them short inbetween his grooming appointments.

16. gabstaff

gabstaffMember

Threads:
    I bought one and it did not go over well at all. She did not like the sound of it at all. I was afraid that I was going to hurt her with the way she squirmed.

17. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't tried it personally but i have had my aunt and other friends use it my aunt used it for her dog and she said that it worked great it's a lot easier than regular trimmers and that her dog didn't mind it and didn't even move at all while she did it.

18. gabstaff

gabstaffMember

Threads:
    Your aunt is lucky that the dog didn't mind. Most people that I know that did try it, their dogs HATED it! I don't know if it was the noise that hurt their ears, or the drummel part really did hurt them.

19. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What a great post ! My little dog just hates having his nails trimmed, and it takes both myself and my husband to hold and trim a 6 lb dog. I had heard that the pedipaw was better than the manual trimmers (like in the picture) , and I was glad to find a post about it. Now, I won't even bother trying them, with all the other posters whose dogs hate the noise. We do have a Dremel , so maybe next time we trim Chippers toenails, I will try the Dremel instead of the clippers.