People Who Don't Want Discounts?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Theo • May 23, 2016.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was on a social media site and asked a question as to whether people got annoyed discounts were only offered on bulk subscriptions and never shorter ones (even token 5%) and I was surprised with some remarks.

Some said "What's you problem, why do you think you should get a discount?' and another said "If it's normal price pay it," so clearly there are people that don't look for discounts or want them. Is that even possible in this day and age? The best business people always negotiate discounts and look for deals. Maybe I should just ignore these people as not the bright folks, because if you can get a discount that's the smart thing to do, and if you can't then yes you pay full price if there is no choice, but when companies do offer discounts, you know they can afford to do it.

2. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I've been working in a retail store for about 3 years now and I too have come across people who do not want a discount. I was helping a couple and they were ready to cash out, one of the items were discounted heavily and the wife refused to get it. She said that "if its on clearance, then something is wrong with it!" and she made her husband leave behind the item. I couldn't understand why someone automatically thought like that and I figured that her bank account will cry one day!

Anyways, when things are on clearance, most of the time it means that it is the last one or there is no room for stock and new items are coming in. I for one am always looking for a discount, companies pay far less for items to be made than for what it is really worth!

3. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Some people will be driven by some strange beliefs which deviate from the norm sometimes, so u will find that they will come up with some unusual reasons to do what most people would generally do. However, I almost certain that a greater portion of the buying public will mostly want to take advantage of any savings that may come their way.

4. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hmm, I don't understand the mentality of not wanting a discount. Generally the people who have the most money are the ones who know how to save money and pinch pennies. It all adds up over time. But if you are a regular price shopper, I salute you, it leaves more discounts for the rest of us!! Even though "friends don't let friends pay retail,"

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To be honest I think some younger people who haven't had to live independently may think like this and don't question prices. Once you have bills to pay and not a phone bill, things like gas and water rates then you think more carefully about discounts. Maybe school should teach people how to find discounts as that's more useful.

6. Destiny

DestinyActive Member

Threads:
    Ive seen some people deny a discount as a price thing. Saying they're not poor and can full price... something, something they're no leech.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've known people who won't accept discounts. Young and rich. One is an acquaintance and I've seen him pay people who work for him double or triple what they charge for their services. If you a lot of money and don't know what you'll use it for, then I suppose discounts are the last thing you'd want.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well so far, I have seen some strange mindset and behavior on people, so them not wanting discounts is quite "tame" and "harmless" if you ask me. Some people are just not really keen in getting discounts, since they probably think that they can afford to pay full price on items.

9. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is certainly possible. I have a cousin, and he is married to a lady who likes other people to believe that she wants for nothing and is rolling in the money, despite the fact that they are in all kinds of debt thanks to her spending habits, trying to impress people that she does not even like. She does not like discounts for this reason, and it is destroying their lives.

10. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Isn't that sad? I know what you mean, people with too much pride. If only they knew celebrities and rich people do actually ask for discounts and freebies perhaps they would realize discounts aren't a bad thing.

Of course there is a time and a place, and if it says fixed price then don't insult someone, or when you are paying for a service like a will. However, a place or website that offers discounts and offers indicates they obviously do, and in that respect they have already accounted for a smaller margin of profit.

11. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I sometimes think it's just a snooty thing that some people do! They feel as if by accepting discounts and/or freebies, it makes them look as if they've fallen on hard times, and oh no! they can't have people think that of them LOL I've seen it with my own eyes. Yet you hear of the stinking rich people, and even some celebrities speaking freely about hunting for bargains and even negotiating to get money taken off something they want.

I'm not particularly good at haggling, but if I'm offered something, I'm ready to snatch that person's hand off LOL

12. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't always ask for discounts if I think something is good value, but if it is over priced then I look for a deal or a discount. In this case I was looking at beauty boxes, because they are over priced and any one who says they aren't hasn't a clue about how retail works, and I was on a forum where people attacked me for wanting a discount on a beauty box because I didn't want to pay a year up front to get 20% off. I merely said they should offer discounts on shorter terms and a first box.

My friend has a famous sister and I asked why she couldn't ask her for some of her airmiles so we could go on holiday, and she said her sister (who flies first class all of the time) keeps them and uses them and won't give them to anyone.

13. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, I know people like that. It's really not smart. They spend their lives drowning in debt to impress people who really couldn't care less how much they pay for things.

Yes, like the above described people as well as many more. I think it's a bit off not to mention just plain sad.

Thankfully, I don't much care if others take issue with my spending and saving habits. I think they should be more worried, since they do seem care so much what people think, because I think they're the ones who are off for overpaying, ha ha.

Yeah, @Theo@Theo, I would ignore them. They sound pretty silly to me.

14. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I can't blame some people regarding discount prices as not legitimate. Because some stores try to sell their stuff bluffing Its real price as a great discount. The only way to really tell if a seller is giving out a discount is by comparing his/her price with the immediate competition. I normally want a discount, but of course, a real one.

15. Sealpikachu

SealpikachuMember

Threads:
    I have definitely met people who hate discounts, but they are rare. Most times, they just want to show off that they can pay. They've looked down on others because they feel privileged. That has been my experience so far though, I am sure not everyone is rude about it.

16. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is just silly. Who wouldn't want discounts? I personally want discounts but it has to be an item I like or have been eyeing for some time now. But even if it isn't, I'd welcome any sort of discount that actually feels like you're getting more than what you've bargained for. There are stores that try to hype a product by offering "discounts" but despite your computation, the thought of buying the item still makes you feel like it's not worth it.

17. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess for some people it's a way to show 'they have made it' . I remember coupons and vouchers were always supposed to be for the hard up, but now with Groupon etc, it's more accepted that people who are well off will look for a bargain. I do think those who haven't been through a recession have a different attitude; when you have you realize discounts are a good thing.

@Zyni@Zyni , yes ignoring these people is what I have done, it's just they responded t my reddit thread, and I was just surprised there were a few like that. However, after a few days on reddit, it seemed most of the audience were of a certain ilk on some subreddits.

18. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh I don't ask for discounts very often either, but i sure wish it came naturally to me. But I do get a bit of courage if I've seen the item going for cheaper elsewhere, because then I've got a leg to stand on type thing LOL

Eh, why would they attack you for wanting a discount?! Some people seriously have too much time on their hands! I mean, what's it to them, anyway? Or maybe they were just jealous that they didn't have the bottle to do it? That's just weird.

19. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Theo@Theo, I know right?Most celebrities rarely have to pay for things, because businesses want them to endorse their products, so they will give the items to celebrities for free. It is shocking to see my cousin working every hour that we get to reverse the damage that his wife is doing to them financially. They had coupons for a supermarket, and she would not use them. She was prepared to go into her overdraft to pay. Just ridiculous. That is what happens when you do not have a mind of your own, and you are living for other people.

20. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Maybe it's just with the way you asked the question. From what I can tell here you asked if people got annoyed that there aren't discounts for smaller quantities, and if think annoy would not be the most appropriate term. You can say that people should ask for discounts where possible but when you say people should be annoyed that they don't get discounts then I think that's a bit different. In this case I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and say that probably they would want the discounts but just the wording might have put them off.