Perfumes For Men?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Denis Hard • Jul 11, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I found this preposterous statement on some site today
    Fine, men may sweat more but that doesn't mean that many of them use perfume. In fact, more than half of the men I meet have never worn perfume. At least not in public.

What I can't understand though is why there has to be a distinction between perfumes for men and those which women prefer. If someone wants some nice scent why not just grab the cheapest perfume [be it men's or women's]? Are men's perfumes named thusly simply to make them sound more masculine?

2. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    Well, I've never referred to it as men's perfume. I call it "cologne." I've known several guys that wear it, at least when out in public. My husband wears Tim McGraw's Southern Voice. Its relatively cheap because its not considered "high-end" but it definitely smells good!

3. Lenna

LennaNew Member

Threads:
    I never got what cologne is meant to be to be honest. Is it after shave? Is it deodorant? Is it something different entirely?

I'd imagine the distinction is based on what the perfumes smell like though. Like, if deodorant is our standard then most men's stuff are like, 'Ice dive', 'Sports scent' or if you go for something made by Lynx/Axe it's just something like, 'Apollo' or 'Africa'

4. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    I've always wondered that too! I asked my husband once if he used aftershave and he said, "that's what cologne is for!" However, I've known guys that use a completely different product for aftershave so who really knows. And men says women are confusing. Ha! :)

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's all just about marketing and compartmentalisation. The same way we are not supposed to buy clothes for 30 year olds when we are in our twenties or forties. I see all these different sections in shopping centres, targeting special "groups" such as teenagers, middle aged men, business women and so on. Some even start identifying with it.
    To say that men sweat more is ridiculous. It's all an individual thing amongst men and women. I think, whatever gender you are, chose the scent that appeals to you and forget about what the rest of the world says.

6. lionzfire122

lionzfire122Member

Threads:
    I never heard of anything like that. If a dude is going to sweat a lot he should eat right. I noticed when a man eats right his sweat will be much more tolerable. You are what you eat. If you eat junk, you'll end up smelling like crap. If you stay away from that crap, you will end up smelling much better!

Or they could just carry a purse with their lovely man perfume in it, just in case.

God bless, LIONZFIRE

7. davbopol13

davbopol13Active Member

Threads:
    If you sweat a lot, male or female, one shoud use the proper deoderant! Cologne is for men who have showered and want to smell like a hunk! That is the one thing that I missed when I was single, is a great smelling man!

8. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I know men who wear cologne. It isn't because they sweat, it is because they like the smell. Same with women. That is a weird statement and I have never heard that before. Also to answer your questions about why the distinction it is because some scents are more "manly" while others are "girly." Men's cologne usually have a very musky, soapy, earthy, spicy, or sweet smell to them. Many of women's perfumes are not musky or earthy. They are very fragrant with herbs, and oils to make them sweet, spicy, or sexy.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think the scent for men's and women's perfumes are a bit distinct. I'm not entirely sure what really makes one more feminine or masculine smelling over the other, but I think there is a spectrum for each and the varieties for either gender mainly just play within those areas. As far as labeling which ones are for men and women, they are just mostly for marketing because I doubt many women would be attracted to buying scents that can be construed as being masculine and vice versa. Although, I'm fairly sure I've come across a few perfumes that are marketed as unisex, and I doubt they sell as well as the specialized types.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well the perfumes for men and women are segregated for a reason. You can tell that those "flowery" scents are tailor made for women, while those "manly" scents are for the men. Plus the segregation also adds up to their profit, you know?