Personal trainer

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by lovemwaf • Nov 26, 2013.

1. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I hate having a personal trainer as with my experience, they have pushed me over the edge a few times and i think that has made me not to want to return to the gym.......these days when i go to the gym i ask them for advice but i do not let them push me by letting them know that i have to move at my own pace.....do you prefer having one or not.

2. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    That's unfortunate that your experiences with them have been so negative. For the record, yes they should push you to go all the way, but they should NOT push you over the edge. Personal trainers should always listen to their client because what might be inspirational to some can be way too much for others. I haven't hired a personal trainer for myself, but my friend has one that she trains with outside of the gym and when she goes to 24 hr fitness. She says that the key is communication. Never be so intimidated by them that you lose your voice. So by you getting advice from them but not letting them push you, sounds like you're on the right track.

3. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    I'd love to have a personal trainer, but a personal tennis trainer that could work specifically on my needs. Unfortunately I can't afford it, but I think it's a luxury I would have if I could.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Trainers aren't regulated. Most take a short test and suddenly, they feel worth a ridiculous price and they don't even have the first clue about health. They don't even worry about proper movements most times, they're putting your joints at risk. But then, the average gym rat won't know on their own either, so either way, most people aren't doing it right. Almost anyone can be a trainer these days.. it would be cheaper for you to take the same course and train yourself.

5. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    If you want motivation and inspiration, try gathering everything you can. There are videos, pictures, people who are going through what you're going through. Get the motivational videos, listen to the stories and get energized from it. Then find the workout videos that will work for you, whether it's at home or at the gym. Throw them on your iPod or mobile so you can watch it while you're working out. When you feel lazy, remember that motivational video. Get some pictures maybe stick it on the back of your phone or in your car.

Personal trainers are just people that sometimes feel a little pressured when a client isn't making any progress so maybe that's why they kept pushing you and wanted to prove to themselves that they can change you. Sometimes finding a community or a group of people who are in the exact place as you are will support you and push you further than any other paid trainer!

6. whatupswags

whatupswagsMember

Threads:
    As a coach who has dabbled in personal training, I was constantly gauging the motivation and energy of my clients. Of course, I felt pressure to have my clients see results, but I felt much more pressure to make sure my clients were enjoying themselves enough so they would keep having me come back! It is all about the comfort zone of the client. If the workouts are always inside of the comfort zone, they are too easy, and progress will not happen. If we can get to the "uncomfortable zone" without going to the extreme of the "danger zone," then the client can feel empowered and stronger. I think finding the right personal trainer is all about finding the right personality that you can work well with - just as if you were looking to make a new friend!

7. wwalford

wwalfordNew Member

Threads:
    I prefer not, I prefer a buddy gyming with me and we push each other and that's it. I sometimes think that the personal trainer is ideal for people who are injured or are learning to use certain machines. But for me it is the buddy system over a trainer.

8. PSLoveCharli

PSLoveCharliActive Member

Threads:
    It's all about trial and error. For one, when you first start to get into fitness, you need to go at least a month alone. Focus on your goals and how active you plan to be. Once you map out what you want to accomplish, then seek a personal trainer. Some are women, some are men. You just have to figure out how hard you want them to be on you. Some people need the "extra push", some do not.

9. writeletters

writelettersMember

Threads:
    Having one is good because they make sure you don't injure yourself and they teach you the correct techniques for workouts. They should know your limits and not pucsh you too far, so if that happens you may need to talk to them. However, it can feel like you can't do anymore, and that's why they're there, to show you that you can and push you hard. It's what you pay them to do.