Pet Adoption Stories!

Discussion in Pets started by YorkshireLass • Oct 4, 2012.

1. YorkshireLass

YorkshireLassMember

Threads:
    I thought it would be interesting to hear the stories about peoples pets who have been adopted from rescue centres!

My dog was left in a black bin bag next to a river when she was 7 weeks old. No idea what happened to the rest of her litter or her mum, I dread to think they may have ended up in the river. Anyway, she's a great dog, collie cross with bags of energy until recently as her health has begun to decline. She's 14 tomorrow! (The vet guessed her birthday!)

2. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    That is just heartbreaking. Good for you for rescuing her and giving her a great home with lots of love.

Two of my 3 cats are rescues. The oldest from the humane society and the youngest was left on my sister's doorstep in a cardboard box with a few urine-soaked cat food kibbles. On a hot day, no less! I can't believe people can do those things. Why they picked my sister's house to leave this kitten, which couldn't have been more than 5-6 weeks old and too young to take away from her mama, is beyond me. But we took her in and she's so loveable and funny.

3. Micheleteresa

MicheleteresaMember

Threads:
    I have rescued 19 cats and two dogs from NYC ACC, everyone of them from the kill list, and one dog from Florida ACC kill list. Each has a tragic story, but the most tragic issue is that each one was an abandoned pet, dumped at a high kill shelter by irresponsible pet owners with lame excuses for doing so.

4. max222

max222New Member

Threads:
    Nothing beats an adopted doggie

I've had a lot of dogs in the past 15 years--about 6, I guess. I'd have to say my first dog, Sadie, touched me the most. She was a mixed breed, mostly border collie, and the smartest animal I've ever seen. She would follow me, and knew when to sit, stay, and whatever else. My next dog, Barney, was almost as smart--he was a mixed breed too, mostly german shepherd with some collie mixed in. He loved Sadie, but she wanted nothing to do with him. At least, until I got Molly, my little fox terrier. And she is a terror. She's still alive, but Barney and Sadie crossed the Rainbow Bridge.

Since those dogs, I've had a few others--Gigi, Ginger, both Stumpy-tailed Cattle dogs, and Mattie, whose ears are so big I think she could fly with them.

Nothing beats having a dog, I say, although with 4 of them, it can sometimes get to be a bit much. Especially when I arrive home and one of them has chewed part of the carpet, another has peed in a corner, another has barfed up the poop she ate outside, . . . well you get the drift. Still I love those old dogs . . . .

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My daughter came home the other day unhappy that she was not able to catch the kitten she saw walking about lost at the bank. She said she called to the kitty and almost had it but the kitty got scared and ran away. It is very sad to see small animals without homes. I don't understand how people can throw an animal into the river to die.

It seems there are alot of people here that have rescued animals, you are blessed.

6. Francy

FrancyMember

Threads:
    My husband had picked out a pure bread yellow Labrador with AKC papers and was going to pick him up in a couple days. He just happened to stop by the pound to see what they had and there they were....a litter of yellow and black lab puppies. So why not adopt one instead of buy one. I remember that day as clear as can be because I was so happy! We picked out our Cody boy that day and brought him home. He is one of the best dogs I've ever come to know. He is loyal and obedient and plain smart. We love him so much!

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not even a dog person, I've always had cats, but my pet for the past 3 years has been a Rat Terrier. he used to belong to my mother in law but I took him in when she went senile and couldn't take care of him anymore. Having a dog for the first time has made me appreciate dogs and their personalities. I ended up with him because he had nowhere else to go, but I've grown to love him.

Stefanowithtoy.

8. Ridge

RidgeMember

Threads:
    Not an adoption center, but I have a story.

Before me and my wife were married we worked at McDonald's when we were 16. One day in winter some herk left a box of newborn kittens in the drive through. Most of them went to the humane society, but my wife took one home and raised it back to health.

It's eyes hadn't even opened yet and she had to bottle feed it for weeks before it could eat on its own. 8 years later we still have that cat.