Pet as Christmas Present?

Discussion in Pets started by Mayvin • Nov 30, 2013.

1. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Curious to know if anyone has given an pet as a present to someone? This sounds really cute especially for kids and was thinking of possibly doing this but read that it was not the greatest thing to do because it can be stressful for the animal for the fact that it's so hectic around the holidays.

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I say it probably depends on what type of animal and the atmosphere of the house at the time. I tend to agree though. Christmas morning is a little chaotic and it's a huge deal for an animal to be taken to it's new home, let alone being surrounded by people fawning over it and all the new sites and smells and petting etc. It's a lot for a little guy that has no idea what's going on; add to that christmas? But then, you may have an excited pet on your hands and it might suck up all the attention and fun. It just really depends.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that it's ok to give pets as a present during the holidays, but to avoid the risk of the animal getting stressed because of it's initial exposure to many people all at the same time because of the holiday frenzy, just wait until after the New Year to give the present to the kid.

4. AliDee

AliDeeMember

Threads:
    My girlfriend wanted a puppy for Christmas but we can't afford to have another dog at the moment. I think it would make an amazing present for someone who loves animals. I guess it just depends on who the presents for and if they can afford to be with that pet in terms of training it, feeding it, cleaning it etc. Pets are a huge commitment and you need to make sure that whoever is receiving the pet is capable of raising it and looking after it.

5. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think giving a pet for a Christmas gift is a great idea! I would love if someone got me a pet I wanted for Christmas! There is never a bad time for a pet to be given. I think if you want to get someone a pet for Christmas than go for it it's a great idea.

6. dreamseer

dreamseerMember

Threads:
    I would only give someone a pet as a gift if it was a member of my immediate family. That way, I would know the home situation of the person receiving it, and if they are able to live up to the responsibility. Also, I agree that either a few days before or a few days after the holiday would be the best time.

7. wwalford

wwalfordNew Member

Threads:
    I am seriously thinking of giving my mom a dog for Christmas. Look it is a bit unfair for the person if they are not sure they want one. So to buy someone a pet for a present is something you have to be careful of. For me my mom has been looking a while so I know she wants one.

8. Daria

DariaMember

Threads:
    I want to get my boyfriend a cat for Christmas. I know he wants one, but he wants a specific kind, and I don't think I could get it in time. I think giving pets for Christmas is memorable. I got a dog for the holidays when I was 13. As long as the person wants a pet, and the adults in the house agree, I think they make a fine present!

9. Damikoulas88

Damikoulas88New Member

Threads:
    I once given my wife a dog for Christmas gift. I have to say she loved it! Very nice gift for your partner on my opinion!

10. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not for giving a pet as a present to someone. I think it's all well and good to support someones decision to get a pet and help them with the process but I do not think you should be involved in that unless you are a part of this pet's life daily. People have the tendency to say that they want something like a dog or cat until they understand the amount of time, money, and emotional commitment that goes into it. If you plan to give someone a pet as a gift I would suggest giving them a plant first. See how that goes.

11. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    Overall I think that it's a great idea if everything is considered beforehand. If you know you will be adopting a pet for the holidays start seeking an animal as soon as possible so that you and your new pet have some bonding time no matter how short, before you bring it home. Also, let the kids know right away that the pet needs some time to get adjusted to their new living space. As I said though, overall I think it's a great idea to rescue an animal during the holidays!

12. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    The thing about giving a pet is that it seems great at the time. That is until the person throws the pet away because they didn't really want it. I've seen this happen to many times around the holidays where pets are literally tossed in the trash. If you don't want the pet then just give them back.