Pet Bedding

Discussion in Pets started by cocolgooh • Jul 28, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I like to make my own pet bedding where possible. I used shredded bills etc as bedding for rabbits when I used to have them. I also turned old sheets into beds for my dogs and cats, as well as blankets for them or covers for the back seat of the car when I had one. This was much cheaper than buying it at the store, and they used it just as much as they would have done otherwise.

2. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Sisal gunny bags are also very good beddings for pets. They can be reused for a long period of time and they are easy to fumigate in case of pests and diseases. One just lays them in bundles where the pets rest their bones so that when they sleep on them, they get immersed and so there is no need for additional beddings when its cold.

3. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I consider myself somewhat lucky I guess because I have never had to make a purchase for this. I have always had cats, though, so that might play into it a bit. They just make due, though, and the couches and chairs seem to be their favorites and they each have their own sports throughout the house. I hope this continues, and it is nice not having to buy a bed. Thanks for sharing.

4. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    I also use blankets for pet bedding (cat and dog). I while back I found one of those soft covers off those really nice dog bed at a thrift store for 50 cent, I just fold a blanket up in it for them. It make it easy to clean and the LOVE it.

5. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use older bath towels for pet bedding for the little dogs. I can wash these easily when needed so that they do not get to smelling like "doggy smell", and they are soft and comfortable for the dogs to sleep on.
    I also crochet little dog rugs and the dogs just love those, I use the plastic bags from the grocery store, cut them into loop and then wind them up into a ball, and use them like I would use a bulky yarn. I also use a strand of leftover yarn ends along with the plarn, and it makes a nice soft washable rug. My Chipper dog like them so well that he usually sleeps on my lap when I am crocheting him a new rug.

6. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have any small animals at this time, but I had many as I was growing up. I have two dogs now and they get to go to sleep in my bedroom beside me on a futon. I think that they like to sleep in the same room as me and it makes me feel safe while I'm sleeping.

7. stream26

stream26New Member

Threads:
    Once upon a time, I let my pups sleep in my bed with me... but then I got a third, and there is no way all three of them will fit up there with us. Of course I couldn't play favorites, so they're all stuck sleeping in a own bed

which is right next to mine, now. They're only about six inches below the edge of my bed, so they hardly know the difference.

8. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I find that dogs like soft areas to lay down on and I don't think just using blankets will be enough. Back where I lived, my family used to put 6 old pillows together and put a blanket over them as a small bed for the dog. The dog seemed to be very comfortable with it.

9. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    This just makes me appreciate having a cat as of late, because you really do not need to do much here. You can pretty much throw a blanket down anywhere and they're good, at least my little friend is.

10. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have a housemaid who is fond of sewing so we bought her a sewing kit. Later on, my wife challenged our housemaid if she can put to good use the old clothes that we do not use. She made a dog bed as a sample and we liked it. Now she is making dog beds from our old clothes, pants and even blankets that we do not use anymore. Those beds are good giveaways to friends on occasions. Take note that a dog bed is quite expensive.