"Pet Peeves" When Traveling?

Discussion in Travel started by ExpertAdvice • Sep 22, 2014.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Do you have any pet peeves when it comes to traveling?

You know what I mean: the long, drawn out flights, the man snoring right next to your seat, and drooling on your shoulder, or perhaps the terrible "cab life" in a particular city.

Whatever it's been, you've probably had an "awful experience or two", somewhere, somehow, in your traveling experience...

So, I wanna know which one it was!

For me, I've been forced to huddle in a cab for three hours, while being literally "sandwiched" between three, not-so-small passengers.

So, what are some of your "pet peeves" when traveling?

2. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Here are some of mine:

1. Sitting beside someone who has body odor in a train.
    2. Being reprimanded by a restaurant assistant because he thought I was a local. When he realized I was a tourist, he apologized repeatedly. Too late though.

3. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    The last few times we have flown, we have not gotten the end seats. We always buy two tickets and so why do we get stuck sandwiched? They should see that we are a couple and try to give us the aisle. Also, we are often doing a two day flight - meaning we have a huge layover and are getting on another plane for another long flight. That means, there are people just going to Europe - and they are getting this grand seat (notice my dramatics) and we are stuck in the middle of people and THEN they get off and go eat their chocolate croissants and we get on ANOTHER plane with new people who are getting on for the first time and THEY get a nice seat while we who are very travel weary are stuck in between them. Yes we are the STINKY people. But maybe we wouldn't be if we could get a chance to use the bathroom whenever we felt like it instead of watching out for an 'opening' and running to the stall, trying to get back in time before Mr. Chubby gets back in his seat and falls asleep locking us in for 8 hours or more. Woa...good thread...didn't realize all that needed to come out!

4. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know if this is a pet peeve but I hate how everything costs so much. I suppose that some things make sense to charge for but I thought it was really stupid that Sea World charged for parking when I already had a pass to get in. Paying to park is just stupid in general.

5. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    Wow! These are actually quite awful. It's bad enough to deal with someone who has poor body odor and doesn't take the necessary steps to ensure that that condition is under control! But then, being reprimanded because the restaurant assistant thought you were local? That's not even a justifiable excuse!
    So, is it that he is saying that it is perfectly fine for him to expose locals to the poor treatment that you were a victim of on that unfortunate occasion? I hope he didn't think that by using that excuse, that he had somehow appeased the situation. Each person should be given the same treatment, as far as is possible, especially when it comes to establishing and maintaining good customer relations.
    I can bet that he has lost a customer, even for now, or that you'd select assistance from another member of staff if you choose to visit there again!

6. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    Oh my gosh! I know you said you were dramatic for the sake of emphasis, but this is absolutely treacherous! I'd never want to be stuck in a similar situation, where I have to be separated for my wife for such a long period of time while flying, or going anywhere for that matter. And what makes it worse, there is a constant flow of persons in and out, all around you, plus the struggle for bathrooms? Man, this is absolutely nasty and downright frustrating!
    You and your wife have the patience of a rock combined! That's great of you, but I'd encourage you to seek out flights that specially cater to striking the right balance between good seating and an affordable cost. If not, then it would probably best for you both to save for the "better flights" that guarantee that you'll get seated beside each other, and experience the comfort that you both deserve!
    All the best!

7. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    Nope, you're right, it's definitely a justifiable pet peeve!
    I can't understand it either: if there's a charge attached to actually being admitted into the park, then why thereafter, charge for the parking as well? Are they not meeting their budget well enough? Are we covering added expenses and debts they've accrued?
    It really forces the customer to start speculating the worst, because this kind of treatment doesn't really respect those who are, in fact, patronizing the entire venture in the first place. I think that if you're using a public space, then it should be free to park, and in this case, where it's commercial property, then let it be one, flat rate, for admission only; no need to charge for parking! You already have a cap on the number of tickets you can sell for a particular day, based on your building's capacity! So, there's no real chance that your parking lot is going to be "over-stuffed"!

8. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only thing I figure is a lot of their profits goes to the animals but even so it doesn't justify the humongous cost of enjoying the park because there are plenty of profits to be made elsewhere since pretty much everything costs. The worst part is I was a special guest because I payed for swimming with dolphins but I still had to buy the pass AND pay for parking.

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Bad smells are the worst for me. I don't mind so much being sandwiched in between some fat people, but really take exception to bad odours. A sour breath or old sweat on a person, can make me feel violently ill. And certain synthetic perfumes literally make me throw up, especially when they are combined with bad body odour.
    I also don't like unrestrained, screaming children banging their legs into my seat all the time.

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a short peson and the seats on the plane are too close for me to be comfortable so I know a large person or a regular size person is uncomfortable on a plane. I don't like the people pushing when you have gotten to your terminal, you need to get your bag and get off with all of those people rushing to get past you in a very tight aisle way.

11. SandraHoffmann

SandraHoffmannNew Member

Threads:
    Some of the bus services are also offering pet peeve for travelling, i think it's really a good move. People always need comfort in the journey.