PetCo vs. PetsMart vs. Other

Discussion in Pets started by Dr23 • Jul 13, 2012.

1. Dr23

Dr23Member

Threads:
    Our house had a new addition this week in the form of a rescue dog. As a new dog owner, my experience shopping at different pet stores is pretty limited outside of picking up some fish food.

I was curious as to which pet store holds your allegiances - Petco, PetSmart or some other store that I might not be familiar with. I've already checked out both my local PetCo and PetsMart and I wasn't able to see a clear difference between the two. Prices seemed to be roughly the same, product seemed to be roughly the same. Maybe someone out there with more pet experience can shed some light on which they prefer and why?

If you have a different store you frequent, let me know! Also curious as to if pet owners do any of their shopping online. So far I've preferred to actually see the product/toy and hold it in my hands before letting my pup check it out but if there are reliable deals to be had I'd be willing to investigate.

2. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I have a cat and have visited Petco and Petsmart on various occasions. Ironically I buy my cat food at Walmart however I have also have bought items for the cat online before.

3. Bloom

BloomMember

Threads:
    Although there are pet stores all around, I don't go to them. I actually go to WalMart for large bags of pet food and various places such as Safeway and Ralph's for treats and toys. I believe that the prices in pet stores are pretty high because they need to make money on that specific pet food that you need. Granted, pet stores do carry a lot of rare pet foods that other stores don't have. So it varies on what kind of food your dog eats. But most likely WalMart has a large variety. :)

4. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    I buy all my dog food at Sam's club. I found its the cheapest in town.

5. greenmachine

greenmachineMember

Threads:
    I am with a couple other i buy my cats food at Walmart since it's cheaper. Time to time when I'm doing demos at Petsmart I will use one of the coupons I'm handing out to buy what I'm demoing that day if it's a good deal but having three cats and a kitten it's cheaper to buy the big bags at Walmart. It really depends if your looking for a national name brand pet food or a brand that is sold exclusively at Petsmart or Petco.

6. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a Pet-Co girl. The prices are often lower than PetSmart when things go on sale. And Pet-Co puts my dog food brands (Wellness and Innova) at least once a month.

The other thing I really like about Pet-Co is their rewards program. I get 5% back on everything. It does take a while to add up but I love getting my 5$ off coupons.