Pets Expenses

Discussion in Pets started by mrsgeedee • Mar 11, 2013.

1. mrsgeedee

mrsgeedeeActive Member

Threads:
    How much do you usually spend for your pets?

We have 2 guinea pigs. They are very easy to take care of. You only have to feed them fruits (like apples, pears, watermelon) and vegetables (spinach, cucumber, carrots, lettuce, cabbage). Sometimes we give them grass and dandelions too. We buy them dry foods and hay from pet shops that would last for a month or two. But since they've grown to their adult size, we have to replace their beddings (recycled newspapers, wood shavings, straw) in their cage and playpen inside The House for at least every 2 days. All in all, we probably spend around £30-50 a month to them. Hubby likes guinea pigs as it's not expensive to take care of. But sometimes we're just wondering if it's getting more expensive now having them too! Oh well, we love our pets anyway. :eek:

2. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a full blooded blue pit he's still a baby and surprising I don't spend much I usually go and get up some stuff animals and toys at the dollar tree and than I go to the store and get him a big bag of food which last about a month for about 6 to 8 bucks

3. rachel1970

rachel1970Active Member

Threads:
    Well, I pay £40.00 a month on insurance for my cat, as she's a senior now, around £15.00 a month on cat litter, and around £60.00 a month on cat food. So, all in over £100!

4. emmy2points

emmy2pointsActive Member

Threads:
    Our kitty cat doesn't require much maintenance and we're trying to limit her food intake to prevent weight gain so we don't spend more than $30 each month for a big bag of food and litter. We do bring her to her yearly vet check-up which can be around $30-$50 with coupons and discounts already applied. We don't spend much on toys and treats either as she is an indoor/outdoor cat and spends a lot of the time entertaining herself outside with the backyard flora and fauna. Again, we limit how much treats she gets to prevent weight gain as she's fond of eating. Otherwise, we don't really spend much of our family budget on our feline daughter, but we do spend a lot time with her that she gets spoiled with so much attention.

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I'm not sure offhand. We buy cat food for two cats, plus kitty litter and the occasional vet visit.

For the dog, we make our own food, which is cheaper than the high quality stuff at the store, but it's still rather expensive overall.

We don't often buy toys for them, but occasionally there are treat expenses, too.

6. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    We only spend money on food and whatever the vet charges us when we take her in case she's not feeling well or something; and every now and then, treats.

7. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    We have 5 cats and spend a couple of hundred dollars on them in terms of food, cat litter, toys and trips to the vet. We could spend less if we bought a cheaper quality food but we prefer to buy a good quality food. Sometimes we buy them treats too but very seldom.

8. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    I think the middle name of my pet is "Saving". Tommy is a medium sized dog, but his budget is really tiny. He fed special food for dogs, but this isn't very expensive. Although not ideal, Tommy also eat some leftovers from our meal but we tried that has a healthy diet. The veterinary and grooming costs aren't very high. He feels comfortable in our home and we don't allow nothing lacking. It is interesting to read the experience of others with other pets. :D

9. Yurika

YurikaActive Member

Threads:
    I keep no pet. It takes up too much time and money.

10. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    It could be very costly to maintain a pet these days. I used to have them and sometimes my expenses with them are even higher than mine! Dog food alone has taken toll on my budget, like in a week I spent more than $100. Not to mention the health care of my pet.

11. zmaras

zmarasNew Member

Threads:
    I keep reptiles on a larger scale (no pun intended) and have streamlined everything to have it pay for itself. Best thing I've ever done for myself, because these guys can get really expensive. When you take into account all the time I spend taking care of them, instead of working somewhere at a part-time job, they cost me about $75-100 every single week in time spent NOT working at another job. I'm especially a fan of my rats. People seem to think that they are gross, but they are really so sweet and impressionable. They can be expensive though, just like the Guinea pigs that OP talks about. Two rats can cost upwards of $30 a month to house and care for. This cost gets significantly more efficient if you keep a larger number, because of buying food and bedding in larger bulk quantities.