Petsmart: Why Is Their Items So High?

Discussion in Pets started by MyPoesies • Oct 5, 2015.

1. MyPoesies

MyPoesiesMember

Threads:
    In my hometown, a recently built PetSmart right in front of the Walmart. One day, I decided to walk in and see the new store. I quickly found out that they're asking full price plus more for everything they sell. They offer what they call PetPerks card that offers discounts, but that's a joke. Their prices are so high that the discount they give isn't saving at all. Compared to the Walmart just behind the store, I think I'd just grab some of pet items and necessities there. Is there a PetSmart in your city? What's the prices like there?

2. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    Pretty much the same here. PetsMart isn't super expensive, but it's on the high end of pet stuff. It's the same deal with most specialty stores. I'd rather just go to Wal-Mart to get basically the same thing. Most of the time the high-quality stuff you buy doesn't make the slightest bit of difference to your pet anyway, assuming we're talking about toys and accessories and the like.

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually, pet products are high everywhere as far as I know. I think that Petsmart has some of the best prices. Walmart might be less but they don't carry the quality and variety of products that Petsmart does. As a matter of fact, since my cat needs some anti itch spray I may make a special trip there Friday. You can also consult with the employees if you need to for specific questions. However, that gives me an idea, maybe I will try 1 800 pet meds or Amazon, but I don't want to wait for them to be shipped.

4. byteninja3

byteninja3New Member

Threads:
    Completely agree. PetSmart prices are very reasonable, even compared to Wal-Mart; in my city at least. PetSmart may be a tiny bit more expensive, but they run sales there on occasion (here are some deals that PetSmart is running right now, if you're interested:

); unlike Wal-Mart, who almost never puts pet items on sale. Another few advantages to PetSmart:
    • The store is much better organized.
    • The staff is much more knowledgeable.
    • They allow pets in the store.
    All of this makes up for the negligible price increase from Wal-Mart, in my opinion.

5. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I'm picky about my dog's food and treats so I wouldn't buy any of the typical cheap brands that walmart sells for him. On same product - i.e. specific inexpensive food brand or identical brand toy - WalMart is definitely cheaper but I go to petsmart because of the increased selection and the ability to take my dog in with me, which is good for his socialization.

6. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    Their items are priced so high because the CEO's know that a ton of people own pets, and look at them like they're their own family memebers. They know a lot of pet lovers like to shop for them so they hike the prices up to make the most out of people. It's a sad thing but it's true. The higher the demand, the more they want to make money from it. It's all about the greed of the industry higher ups. You can go online and find all that stuff you want for your pet way cheaper on amazon or ebay, maybe even overstock. All of it will be new, but way cheaper. So if you're looking to save money, I'm sure there's alternatives out there for you and you and your pet can still be happy. Also Walmart has things for a little cheaper too.