Phonebloks: The first mobile phone that allows customization

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by dieselfit • Nov 7, 2013.

1. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    When this phone comes out, it will be the first ever to be able to allow the user to customize it. Phonebloks is sort of like a Lego puzzle scheme, where you get different parts and connect it to your preferences. So if you want a bigger battery, you would that. Low end camera or high end, big or small screen, is all up to you. And the best part is if it breaks, you would only need to buy the part that broke, and the rest of the phone would be fine. Anyone else heard of this ?

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I just looked it up now, and it's very interesting. I think it can be helpful not only to the phone industry but the whole technological industry as well, especially in the long run. I hope they will come up with a good design for it, if it looks great, then I'm sure a lot more people will like it, including me.

3. minotechonline

minotechonlineNew Member

Threads:
    I like the idea and everything but that's just it. At this point as far as I know it's just an idea. I don't think Apple and Samsung will really like Phonbloks phones getting a piece of their pie so unless a reputable brand gets behind Phonbloks (and admittedly takes a big risk) then I don't see it happening. I really hope I'm wrong though cause it looks like an awesome idea.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also just googled the phone, and it's looks didn't appeal to me at all. I hope that they would make room to improve that, because the concept that they're introducing is quite interesting.

5. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I kind of like the idea, but I fear it will cause even more segmentation on the market. I mean, developing apps for it must be hell, when you have to take into account all the different setups people can be running..

6. jbepp

jbeppMember

Threads:
    Really interested since I'm not the kind of guy who wants to spend $500 or more for a new phone every year or two.
    One of the things I really like about PCs is that you can customize it according to your needs, and since this project is basically the same, I'm excited to hear more about this.

7. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    I agree the idea is awesome and I appreciate that you guys are into it as well. I wouldn't see why anyone would not like this! I would love to buy something like this and I could see myself having it for many years because of course it would never get "old"!

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It's an interesting concept, and I think there is another big name company (who's name is evading me at the moment) also working on prototypes for something similar. It does raise some questions though. It seems that something like this would further contribute to the fragmentation of the Android market. If people are running on phones with several year old hardware then it can cause the development of Android to become stagnant and bloated if it has to accommodate all of these devices. We don't currently have to deal with whether or not anyone is still using the original Android phones from back in 2008-2009 anymore, for example.

9. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    That's strange Ohiotom because I've only heard of one company and it partnered up with Motorola. Are you talking about Motorola?

I agree phones can really go out of age I mean why not be able to customize them?

10. tweety23

tweety23Member

Threads:
    Yes, I've heard of this. I think it has a possibility of doing quite well but you never know though. A person definitely wouldn't have a reason to buy a whole new phone if they decide to go with Phonebloks.

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This does sound interesting. The phone has improved and become an important part of our mobile lives. Being able to get the services that you need without paying for parts you don't need is interesting.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    This is a very interesting point, I wonder if the makers have thought of this. They are backed by a major electronics company, though, so I'm a little bit less skeptical than I would originally be without it. Still, even with their backing, realizing this fact makes me think this concept is a little farther away from reality than I originally thought.

13. andrew172

andrew172Active Member

Threads:
    No phone companies will back this idea. They deliberately make cell phones so that they won't last because hey- that means, you're just going to give them more money to get more cell phones. However a non-cell phone company could swoop in and boost the idea, potentially killing companies like samsung's share in the market.

14. andrew172

andrew172Active Member

Threads:
    It isn't really too far beyond the realms of plausibility that the phone could support most programming languages. There's nothing about the concept of the phone that suggests any reason why it couldn't.