Photo And Video Resolution To Save On Storage

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Alexandoy • Mar 9, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you are using a digital camera and uploading the shots in your computer, you may be experiencing a problem with lack of storage. I just bought a 2 terabyte hard disk for my archive because the old 1 terabyte was already full. A friend advised me to tweak the resolution of the photo and video in my camera. Hmm, that sounds practical. A picture with a resolution of 4,000 pixels takes about 1 mb in storage while if I take the smaller 2,800 pixels, the storage needes is only 500 mb. I had saved ¾ amount of storage. The same thing with video. The 1080 pixel format takes a lot of space so I adjusted my camera to the standard 720 pixels only. The storage space I saved is also around ¾ of file size. Unless you are a professional, tweak your camera to a lower resolution of photo and video to save on storage space.

2. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Alexandoy@Alexandoy I think you have mistyped or something. I mean for 4000 pixels you wrote 1mb and for 2800 pixels you wrote 500MB. How's that?

Yes taking photos with high resolution camera will always give you output with big files. And to keep them we really need big storage on our computer. Yes such kind of trick can be really helpful.

I am not using digital camera, but still on my phone I can take video upto 4k, but that will took lot of space. That's why I used to keep mode on HD (720 pixels as you mentioned) so that I can keep many files.

#2Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2017
  3. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @naruto100@naruto100 Thank you for pointing out the mistake in my post. Yeah, that 500 mb should read 500 kb. Thanks again.

#3Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2017
  4. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    That has also been a problem of mine in the Xperia phone that I'm using. It takes up a lot of space and there's no option to adjust the resolution in the camera's settings. So I had to take less photos so that I can store more songs. I actually preferred my older phones that has the option to set the resolution to 640x480. Now. that's a small file size, usually less than 100 KB.

5. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @moneymania@moneymania Xperia phone!! Is it using android OS. Then it should have option of reducing resolution for sure. I never seen any phone which is not having option to reduce the photo resolution. And yes generally this option only available in camera settings. With HD option it surely consume more than 2MB per photo. So yes it can take more storage.

#5Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2017
  6. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    @naruto100@naruto100, Trust me, I have used 2 Xperia phones already, and both are really stuck with the 5 MP setting. The only option that I see for the camera is geo-tagging and the settings for up close, moving, regular shots, etc. Which brand of phone do you use that has a setting to adjust the resolution?

7. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @moneymania@moneymania That's really odd. Just tell me one thing which OS available in your phone. If it is android OS then you can download different app for for camera purpose and which will allow you to reduce the resolution of your photos.

I am not sure if I have used xperia or SOny, or I guess both are same. I had used phone with android OS.

#7Mar 21, 2017
  8. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    As far as the amount of files to be archived or stored in the computer, the higher the resolution of the image means bigger file. The problem I have noticed when regards to the size of the picture is that the bigger the pixel of the image finds difficult or couldn't be uploaded to social media which doesn't have an inset reducing image application.

With this problem I have had I make the PixResizer app as my handy assistant and after reducing it to the allowable size, the image is uploaded.

9. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Nakitakona@Nakitakona True, not all sites accepts big images either because of size or resolution. So as a solution we must reduce the size of it. Generally I am doing it by PAINT only available on windows 7 by default. It is having resize option which works for me fine. I am not familiar with Pix Resizer so don't know how it works or similarly works like what I am doing on paint.

#9Mar 23, 2017
  10. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    @naruto100@naruto100, Yes it's an Android OS, and Sony is also the maker of the Xperia model. It hasn't really crossed my mind to download an app for that because I don't upload pics to social media anyway, but I will check that out to see if it can reduce pics to my preferred size of 640x480 by default when I take them.

11. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @moneymania@moneymania Well if it is android then you can do anything. I mean there are many apps available on the playstore for camera using which you can have any extra features and functions which is not available on default camera app provided by Sony company. Though I am surprised that they haven't provided such option.

#11Mar 24, 2017
  12. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    @naruto100@naruto100, You know what, the last time I checked out the Play Store here in my phone was last 2015. When I read your reply, I decided to see if there are such apps for my phone. But alas, there are no more apps available for my phone except Wattpad. I use an old Android version and I refuse to upgrade, lol so I can't use the latest apps. It's ok though, I'm not fond of apps anyway.

13. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @moneymania@moneymania Even if you are using old android version there should have lots of camera app available for your phone. I wonder why you are not finding them. When I am searching camera app from my old phone I am getting thousands of apps for the same. You should surely get them. Or may be you are having some problem with play store app. Not sure.

#13Mar 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2017
  14. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    @naruto100@naruto100, Yes I just searched and there were indeed a lot of apps available, they were just not that visible when I opened the Play Store. I actually downloaded Real Player and a file manager, the camera app, maybe later. Do you store the apps on your phone or in your memory card? I prefer to just use my phone for that since it's an app and it will only run on Android phones.

15. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @moneymania@moneymania For me I am having phone with 64 GB inbult memory. So I am not using any memory card for now. So all apps and media files only goes in internal memory. Though I have seen that in new android OS apps always got installed in internal memory only by default. That's what I notice. But it is okay as these days phones also comes with lots of internal memory.

#15Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2017