Pineapples

Discussion in Food & Drink started by ExpertAdvice • Nov 16, 2014.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Pineapples are lovely fruits, the thing about pineapples is that they can be grown in tropical climate conditions. But, they take a really long time to grow and fully develop, may be they develop fully in like a year, so, if you want a lot of pineapples, you would have to plant several of them at once or many over a period of twelve months so that when one bears this month, the others will bear the next, it'll also keep you from shopping for pineapples all the time. and the process is pretty easy.

2. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Never tried planting pineapples, isn't it more of a tropical fruit? I'm not sure if growing one on your own would be easy. Typically I just buy fresh pineapples in season, otherwise canned pineapples make for a decent alternative.

3. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I used to love pineapples and eat them every day. Sadly, I have hyperacidity that can easily be triggered by pineapples. At present, I only eat a slice whenever there is a pineapple at home. I have been to a plantation though. The farmers plant rows and rows of pineapples to harvest a lot.

4. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    My children love pineapple. I buy a fresh one if they are on offer and sometimes buy the tinned version. I am not green-fingered and I do not live in the right climate (I am from the UK) so I don't think I will be attempting to grow a pineapple tree any time soon.

5. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    Oh. I really do love pineapples! We have three kinds here. There are the little yellow ones, the big yellow ones, and then there is what we call the Cape Coast pineapple, which has a whitish flesh and is extremely sweet. This is a local variety. This is what I am growing. They are really easy to maintain as well. Here, it takes about 2 to 3 years for a pineapple bush to produce fruit. I am really looking forward to my next harvest.

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well for that to happen, you not only need hectares of land but also a climate that matches that of the tropics. I'm from a tropical archipelago where lots of pineapples grow. We even have plantations in different islands. Yes, pineapples take time to grow and if you really love them, you can make an effort to establish your own plantation. The initial cost may be a bit too much but with the right network, you'll be able to get a high return on your investment. I wish I can say I love pineapples. Maybe because I've seen and gobbled them up all my life, it's not easy to declare my love for them. They kind of sting. I prefer watermelons but am okay with eating pineapples when they're added to pizzas, pastas and beef stews.

7. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love pineapples, and they are one of the healthiest fruits that you can eat. Pineapples have a natural painkiller in them; so they are excellent for people who have arthritis pain, or fibromyalgia, ar about any kind of a joint pain.

The main thing about a pineapple is to be sure to get a fully ripe one, otherwise it will burn your tongue and make your mouth sore. To tell if the pineapple is ripe, you pull on one of the top leaves in the center. If the leaf comes out easily, then the pineapple is supposed to be ripe.
    I am not a pineapple expert; and we seem to have several people on this thread that actually live where a pineapple will grow. So maybe they can tell the rest of us how they tell when a pineapple is ripe ? ?

8. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    Here, we just look at the skin on the pineapple to tell if it is ripe. If the skin is still green, it is not ripe yet. If the skin has that yellow-orange look to it, then the pineapple is ripe. Pineapples are truly great fruits to eat. It's really one of those miracle fruits that's very healthy for the entire body. Its high bromelain content which has anti-inflammatory effects on the body and helps with digestion. It is also high in Vitamin C content, which helps support the immune system. It also helps with preventing macular degenration.

9. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I honestly don't think they could grow here, but then again, what do i know, because my uncle actually grew and orange tree and I live in upstate New York.

10. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    As much as I love pineapples, I'm not sure that I would have the patience/time to deal with growing them...I'm sure it would be wonderful to grow your own and have them that fresh, but honestly I'm just as happy buying them from a store and trading off just a bit of that freshness for the convenience of it.

11. Nate5

Nate5Member

Threads:
    I do love pineapples, but the in the current city I'm living in, the climate makes it out of the question. Furthermore, the money you save from growing it yourself is offset by the opportunity cost and other farming materials you need to grow them. I'm content with just using ~$10 to buy some. They're probably much sweeter anyway. Also, yummy pineapple smoothies!

12. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    I have bought them in juice form, in cans, and even on pizza takeout but never as a whole fruit that I had t o actually cut up. I don't know if it is even available in my area. I don't really buy any type of fresh fruits really though. Except grapes now and then. How do you even cut open a pineapple ? I'd probably just stab at it lmao.