Pirates?

Discussion in Travel started by Waynefire • Jul 2, 2015.

1. Waynefire

WaynefireActive Member

Threads:
    If you are traveling by boat, is this a concern for anyone? I was watching a show about pirates and did not realize their are so many of them still present in the modern world. With that being said, would the fact that pirates still exist concern you about going out to the seas and taking a trip?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only pirates that I know of who did exist were the Somali pirates. But due to the efforts of a global naval force, the pirates were defeated. Yes that victory didn't end piracy in the seas around Somalia but any Captain of a vessel traveling through there would be prepared for the worst. They hired mercenaries . . . and I suppose they still do so. If I was traveling somewhere in a ship piracy would be the least of my concerns.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Denis Hard@Denis Hard, I am also aware of the Somali pirates. I used to read in New York Times articles about Somali pirates attacking European vessels or taking the crew for hostages. Who isn't afraid of pirates? But my trips to the beach resort involves only small boats for marine travel that maybe pirates would not be interested to capture.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It wasn't only European vessels they were interested in.

Back in 2008 Somali pirates hijacked a Saudi Arabian supertanker which was shipping oil worth valued at $100 M. The pirates demanded $10M from the Saudis and they handed out the money pretty fast.

Early in June, a Malaysian ship "disappeared." Though no ransom demands have been made the Malaysians believe it was hijacked by Somali pirates.

Piracy still lives on apparently but the pirates aren't as active as they were in the past. Nonetheless you should only be concerned about piracy if the ship you are in will be in seas around Somalia. If not, sea travel is relatively safe.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Piracy still exists and not only the Somalian ones. They tend to target large ships though and plan the attacks due to the routes taken. Ships try to avoid them, but that means taking a different route may cost more in money and time because of international water laws it's hard to prosecute them.

Now piracy if you are on a yacht can still happen; the old tale of a ship in distress and then they get hijacked can still happen, though with good communications these days people can radio in these things so there is less risk.

6. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There is an island resort here by the West Philippine Sea. A friend went there with his family for a short vacation. The island resort was great especially with the beach. But what caught the attention of my friend is the tight security. It is not really a big island but there are sentries in the corners and some roving security guards. The manager of the resort said that it is their way of securing the place for a potential pirate attack.

7. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thankfully, I've no plans to visit the sea area around Somalia although I do agree that there is a very real risk of encountering piracy there. Hopefuully, they won't be visiting the UK any time soon.

8. shother

shotherMember

Threads:
    It depends on the place you are. In general it is safe, but I would never go for sailing in places like Somalia for example.

9. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    After i saw Captain Phillips, it made me realize Pirates are still very much real in today's world or at least to that part of Somalian sea. That movie was terrifying and i love how the actors look so natural in their performances.

10. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Pirates are a menace in the high seas and it would be quite okay to take precautions to forestall such an eventuality. I consider it to be one of the routine hazards existent in various forms of travel. I suppose that marine accidents would pose a greater danger than piracy since the latter can easily be contained with proper planning but the former is a clear and present danger to even those who are prepared.

11. dannyluke1

dannyluke1Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, pirates aren’t extinct. They are as active today as they were centuries ago. The only difference is that they are more equipped these days with high-powered weapons and speed boats. Piracy is still rampant along the coasts of Africa and in some parts of South East Asia. So if you are traveling in any of these areas, you have to be extra careful.

12. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    Wahoo Pirates still exist :cool: Well i like pirates stories and Luffy is my favourite ones because of his spirit and stamina but i wasn't sure about them. Through reading that thread will make some searches on Somali pirates. Thanks for sharing that stuff with me.:)