Places with the lowest cost of living?

Discussion in Travel started by Denis Hard • Nov 25, 2013.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm very much into frugal living so instead of traveling to some expensive destination where I'd have to spend a lot because the cost of living is quite high, I'm thinking of traveling to places which are cheap to live in. I'm not the kind of guy who loves scenery, fancy historic sites and such. I'm more interested in different cultures, intermingling with the natives and appreciating them and their customs.

Any recommendations?

2. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    I'd recommend Moscow, it's super cheap because they are paid miseries there. Watch out though, they have prices for locals and for tourists, you better get informed or else you'd pay extra. ;)

3. nhsososo4

nhsososo4Member

Threads:
    I think the Southern Region of Africa and of course some islands. These places are generally cheaper to stay in if you are from a foreign country, especially a third world country. This is due to the weak value of their money, which can not compete with stronger economies. For example, the rand to the pound is 1:14 interms of ratio. That in reality is a very huge difference, as everything is 14X less interms of value.

Also, to make things even worse, there are no varying rules between locals and tourist, like some other parts of the world such as Cuba. I know in Cuba, tourist have certain fees they need to pay, and generally pay way extra than what a local person would pay. Thus that way, it does not put the local people at a disadvantage and also the tourist, do not end up getting items or stay there for close to nothing. Its a win-win situation.

4. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I was watching the TV show "House Hunters" the other day and a couple were looking at apartments in Argentina and nice apartments for under $600 a month. I couldn't believe it, because so many places are expensive.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've heard Thailand and China have very low cost and I imagine it would be especially true when compared against Western currencies. I've never been to China myself, but I've been to Thailand, and the people are very nice.

6. avasmom

avasmomMember

Threads:
    Here's a website that shows the cost of living in different places. You can use their comparison calculator to compare different cities.

7. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    The Philippines is one of the countries I could say have a low cost of living. A kilo of tilapia there only costs around $2!

8. PSLoveCharli

PSLoveCharliActive Member

Threads:
    Any southern state has the lowest cost of living. Those states include: Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, some parts of Florida (northern), Texas, and Alabama -- Arkansas. I'm from the south, but now living in DC. If I could have the southern cost of living in DC, I'd be living past good.

9. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    If you want to save, I'd suggest traveling America (if you live in America). If you travel to smaller cities in lesser known states during off-peak season, you will save a bundle. If you do it by car, you'll save even more. Each region of America has its own culture -- its way of cooking and talking, its own music and art... There are cultures within cultures and I for one find that amazing.

Outside of America, if you stick closer to home, you'll save a bundle in flight costs. I'm sure you can find good deals in different countries in Latin America like Panama and Uruguay. You can also look into the lesser known Caribbean islands like Antigua and Dominica. You can also find great deals in Dominican Republic. Check out there all-inclusive hotels.

Whether in America or abroad, the key is: if you do not have good coupons, stay away from major cities and major tourist attractions. That is where they get you with high prices.

10. kasi

kasiActive Member

Threads:
    I should recommend to you Thailand its good country and also have cheap living areas there and things are also very cheap and you can easily get shopping..