Planners vs. Online Calendars

Discussion in Office Supplies started by vida_llevares • Nov 11, 2012.

1. vida_llevares

vida_llevaresActive Member

Threads:
    With online Calendars that can already be synced to your phones and tablets, would still buy planners?

2. olorien

olorienActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not keen on online planners, but I do take advantage of planner apps. I also have a small planner that I keep in my purse. There are things I tend to keep up with better on paper and others in digital form, so I use the best of both worlds. I don't have a lot of people to connect with, so the online option might work better for those that do.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer a paper planner. I like tech, but can't let go of my Franklin Planner. I have been using it for years. A friend gave me the software version (not online), but I just can't get used to it. I'm a tactile person. I love reading physical books more than ebooks. I'm very slow to change. I know that I will eventually have to change, but I'm delaying it for as long as I can.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I do, just because I like a written hard copy of things that I can just glance at on my desk without opening up an app. I feel better being able to see a whole view really quick, too, without fumbling through settings. It feels more accessible for me.

5. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    I still buy planners. I find it easier to understand and remember if I have it written down. I use the calendar on my phone too, but prefer the paper planner.

6. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    "Allow me to check my schedule..."

I still use the old paperback schedules. I like them to keep notes in and the last thing I want to do is look at another computer screen when I have to stare at one for 10 to 12 hours each day. Also, the paper schedules I use are cheap ($2) at Dollarama.

7. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    Same here. I love technology and use my iPhone for virtually everything. I make sure that everything is synced and working properly; I bet I could go without an old-fashioned planner. But, sometimes, being low-tech is awesome. A nice Moleskin planner, a pen or pencil being used on the paper, and the ability to slow down while you figure out your schedule is really nice. As much as I, a tech-savvy person, uses all the technology available, nothing really beats an old-fashioned planner. I've already ordered my 2013 planner!

8. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    I like both, but I use my paper planner more then I do my online calender. I keep the paper planner always because you never know when you will be without Internet or your computer crashes and then you loose all you data, this way if it happens, I have my back up and I still like keeping things written down too and I carry it with me in my purse and use the online calender when I'm on the computer. It works for me, alittle of both worlds!

9. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    Although I use my phone the most I still like to have things written down because it helps me remember more and I like to having something physically written down on paper.
    I guess at the end of the day it is up to each person to decide what fits them more.

10. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    It's always good to have a low-tech solution to fall back on. Technology can fail you without a moment's notice.

I've never warmed up to the idea of keeping personal data online. It just doesn't seem like a good idea. It's a little too convenient.

11. schomeearnings

schomeearningsBanned

Threads:
    I have purchased planners, however, I wish I wouldn't have because like you said we can just use our phones to sync information. The planners are still good because for people who do not have Smartphones or tablets handy can always have their hands on planner, which is more convenient to them. I use a planner for task around the house, but as we speak I am looking for a 24 hour online calendar. I know Google has one, but would prefer another option or may just make one to see personally in my hand.

12. XOHum

XOHumMember

Threads:
    I like phone planner, and setting alarm to remind me sth important.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't even have a planner because my brain doesn't work that way and I've had to throw out expired planners with only some of the dates filled out. Since I only remember things that I jot down in list form, I just have a lined legal pad that I write my To Do list on. Everyone has their own style of doing things and staying on task, mine is to write lists.
    When I try planners and online planning software, I always go back to the good old legal pad and my lists of tasks.

14. GavinMcresty

GavinMcrestyMember

Threads:
    I tend to find online calendars and planners too confusing. When you try to put in a reminder or memo, it gives you hundreds of different options (colour coding, priority level, category...) and I just become lost. With a paper planner, you simply write things down and it's done. If you want a different colour or to highlight, you just pick up another pen. You don't have to sift through a menu to try to find what you need. You tend to know your own priorities anyway so there is no need to have numbers and flags on things.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Even when PDA's and smartphones weren't popular yet, I was never enticed to buy a planner even when most of my classmates had one way back in the 90's. It just never appealed to me. So it goes without saying that I won't buy one, ever, lol. But I do have a planner now, but it was given for free by a fast food chain. I haven't used it yet and that planner was for 2012.

16. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not real techy and I prefer paper calenders. I don't want to have to fiddle with a smart phone ect... that might be going off while I'm double checking my schedule. Yet if I were more into all these tablets and what not I might be more into having an online calendar.

17. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't sync anything.. I like having everything separate, I feel safer that way. I tend to write my plans down on a real calendar/planner or email myself.

18. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I prefer physical planners. Because I tend to really get to finish things when I write them. It's still kind of hard to fulfill tasks when you're just reading them online. I don't know but planners that are traditional still work for me.

19. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have to have everything written down in a real planner. If I have to go online to look at the tasks I have to do, I end up getting distracted by everything else there is to do online.
    Once I had AOL send me a reminder that I had an appointment at the DMV. I got the reminder, but I also got an email from Pinterest and wasted 2 hours pinning things to my Pinterest boards.
    I find it easier to stay on task when I use a paper planner.

20. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I don't use online calenders. They require that you be connected to the internet via a device so for me they are not that practical. I'm not one of those people who practically sleeps with their phone and I never use mine to connect to the internet. I have a pocket planner that I keep in my purse which I reconcile with my wall calendar.