Planning out to venture on another sport?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by 003 • Jan 14, 2015.

1. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It's new year! New things to start they say, for some at least. In sports, are you seeing yourself trying out and engaging for a new sport? I have a friend who keeps trying out new sports each year and then just leave the other one. I don't think that there already one that she remained for more than a year. It's been part of her self-made tradition to replace her sport every time another year takes place, so she never became really proficient in those. When she left her sport for a year, she was doing them mediocrely, but not poorly, through time as she ages, she gets backward, forgetting everything she'd learn, or at least her muscles developing for something else, not apt anymore for the sport she's not already doing.

2. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    Growing up, I've been diverse when it comes to sports. Basketball, volleyball, soccer, etc. Ever since I was in 2nd grade, I've been joining leagues. Nowadays, I don't play sports. I just go to the gym and workout, but I've been planning on trying out some boxing and Muay Thai. It seems like a great sport to get into, and maybe I could learn some self-defense. Who knows? It might come in handy in the future.

I would definitely say go for it if you're planning on trying out something new. You might not be an expert at first, but practice makes perfect. If you enjoy it, then just do it. Hopefully I actually push through with trying out a new sport this year once I have free time.

3. Webene

WebeneMember

Threads:
    Time is the biggest factor when deciding to try new sports. For example, playing tennis requires someone to hit with and also a suitable court. This could be easier to organize than an 11 a side soccer match, as it is never easy scheduling around that many people. Joining clubs for the sport you have in mind is a great idea, but most clubs play competitively and require you to attend training, which is not always possible. Playing a variety of sports is a great idea though, as it allows you to gain knowledge in many different areas, more skills and provides a great way to stay fit. If keeping to schedule for a specific sport is too hard, then going to the gym is a great idea. Different types of weight training can help you gain functional strength which improves performance in certain sports. Cardio exercise is important to improve fitness, which is essential in almost any sport.

4. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    I am always looking for new sports to try! A few years ago I got into Racquetball, and got super-addicted. Growing up I played just about every sport under the sun, so it gets harder to find new ones. I would like to play more basketball this year. I have had a bad shoulder the last few years, so I haven't been able to play. But thanks to yoga, my should is getting stronger everyday, and I think I am ready try play basketball again!

Having a bum shoulder really limits what sports you can play... I hurt it power lifting a couple of years ago. Never again will I risk injury over something I didn't even enjoy, (power lifting).