Planting a fruit tree

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Cryyo • Jan 7, 2015.

1. Cryyo

CryyoMember

Threads:
    I recently bought a plum tree and I was wondering what the best time of year is to plant it. I want to make sure it takes well so that I can get fruit from it as soon as possible. Also is there anything I need to know about plum trees aside from feed and water them every once and a while? thanks.

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    There are many types of Plum trees so it may vary according to your type. In North America Japanese types are popular. If you have one of these Summer/Autumn is listed as a good time. But European ones are also available and they work well in most soils and most seasons. Avoid planting in areas where frost might kill them if you are going to plant it in Fall. I'm assuming you are not in an area where there is snow, so this might be a moot point. When planting, dig a whole that is a few inches wider and deeper than the roots of the tree. Make sure it has plenty of water and full sun. Enjoy your precious plum tree! That is a grand idea that will bring you much joy.

3. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I believe it is best to plant the tree in the summer as it is best suitable for plum. Plum are usually found during the summer and become ripe at the end of summer. I think that can be helpful.

4. selina

selinaMember

Threads:
    I have two plum trees in my garden, these trees are great for our home garden and can be maintained easily. If you have planned to plant tree in your backyard, you should consider growing Native American plum trees because they are very easy to grow and very adaptable.