Plants How To Keep Them Healthy?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by dorothymoreno • Sep 5, 2015.

1. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    I used to be really good with plants but for some reason after not having any plants in about a year or so I seem to have lost my touch. I usually just use the basic watering and sun to care for my plants. Unfortunately I have not been able to keep my plants alive and healthy. I have been told to use products such as Miracle gro food for plants. Some have told me putting tea or coffee bags in the plants help. So many different things out there that I am just so confused but I really want to find a really inexpensive but sure way to have healthy plants. How do you keep your plants healthy and alive? I'm read to try anything and learn new ways to keep mine healthy. Also, which plants are better for inside?

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    This is not exactly an easy question to answer - as apart from the fact that there is very little expense involved in the upkeep of plants other than a bit of time which costs nothing - because there are so many different plant species as well as many, many different varieties of those species and all of which will require different care and growing conditions - there really is no one size fits all solution - other than to always choose plants that are not only suited to the growing conditions or the environment in which they are going to live - but also ones that suit your lifestyle - meaning whether or not you want low maintenance plants or ones that require a bit more attention.

However - although you don't say exactly what kind of plants or what kind of problems you are having in order to try and keep them alive - some of the most common reasons why plants can met an untimely demise are

over or under watering
    not enough or too much light
    temperature fluctuations or drafts
    too much or too little humidity
    lack of drainage
    wrong soil type and too much fertilizer

Speaking of which - chemical fertilizers and particularly miracle grow are best avoided if you want healthy plants - as all are detrimental to the soil - due to the fact that not only do they have a tendency to leave large mineral salt deposits - but as they generally clog together - the build of salts reduces the plants ability to take up natural nutrients from the soil - as well as sometimes burns the roots.

I would also just add that as not all plants require fertilizer and those that do all have different nutrient requirements - its is always best to feed with the correct fertilizer for the plant and more importantly - fertilizing an ailing plant is never ever recommend.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our plants are always healthy, at least that's my impression. The water we used to rinse meat and fish are not thrown but used to irrigate the plants. Particularly the lemon tree, it has flowers most of the time maybe because of the liquid fertilizer. You can try using that water and see you for yourself. It is most appropriate to be used in plants that bear fruits.

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One technique that you could use - and it might even sound a little bit crazy at first - is to talk to the plants? In fact, I am sure that there is solid science behind the idea that human beings talking to plants helps and nurtures their health. As far as the other things go, like food and light, balance is essential. Not too much or too little.

5. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    For me, whenever I purchase a plant, I ask for details on how often to water and how much sunlight to give. I keep my plants in groups. I do not over water them. I make sure to replant them when they get full in the pot and I prune them. Once a month, I add food to their water. I make sure to give them light daily, and I admire them openly.

6. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks so much to all of you for your comments. They have given me somewhere to start. I am taking all of your suggestions into account and I am going to see what happens. I love plants I always have, they make the house feel more like home. My grandmother used to have a green thumb, and I used to be alittle better with plants as well. I am going to try and see if I can talk to my plants more and try the other suggestions out and I hope to be able to come back here to brag about my plants!!! Thanks for that tip also about the miracle grow, I don't think I will use that. :);)