Plants Which Can Be Used as Medicine?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Denis Hard • Oct 2, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    An article I read earlier which extolled the benefits of natural cures suggested that home-made remedies can be much better for someone's health because they don't have nasty side-effects. The writer further suggested that everyone should grow plants which they can use as medicine when they feel sick.

Which plants can be used to cure ailments?

Blackberries - for sore throat.

Neem - grows into a huge tree. Has many uses. Both leaves and seeds can be used to cure a number of skin diseases and can be great for general skin health. For those who live in places where they can catch Malaria, Neem leaves can cure the disease. In addition to that:
    Ginger - fights colds and also has other uses.

2. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    There are a lot actually. In our garden we have the following:

1. Oregano: For colds/coughs
    2. Ashitaba: For anything. Drinking ashitaba tea will boost your immune system
    3. Guava: Antiseptic
    4. Guyabano: Some say this can help cure cancer (fruit and leaves)

3. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Plantain stops the pain and swelling of a bee sting. If stung, grab a couple of plantain leaves, chew or mash them up and rub on the sting right after removing the stinger. It makes a huge difference, kind of like an anti-histamine.

Yarrow helps stop bleeding when applied to a cut or scrape.

Calendula (from marigolds) is good for treating rashes and other mild skin irritation.

Mint helps sooth an upset stomach.

4. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Berries, in general, have antioxidant properties that are good for the body. There are a few notable ones that have strong medicinal properties. Goji berry is one.

Goji berry is being used in traditional Chinese medicine for various health purposes and is considered a superfood by health enthusiasts worldwide. It is also known to cure several diseases and other health ailments including liver and kidney problems, arthritis, insomnia, and others.

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The Aloe Vera plant can be broken open and applied directly to the skin, for its healing properties. We know Aloe is good, because we see it in tons on products, but you can also use it right off the plant. I had the worst sunburn one time and my grandma ran over to her plant, broke some off, and put it on me. It was very soothing.

6. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    I came here to post this. Aloe Vera is a plant I always try to keep growing around the house, especially in the summer. One warning though, it can be toxic to pets so try not to have it on the floor where a cat or dog might decide to have a chew.

7. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    I struggled until a few years ago with the worst eczema between my hands. It would flare up during stressful times, making them even worse. Just washing my hands was painful. I tried everything over-the-counter and eventually sprung for a visit to the dermatologist (of course, by the time I got into the office, the flare-up had dissipated). I went to the local health foods store in a fit of desperation. The herbalist there suggested a mixture of stinging nettle, burdock root, and neem tree oil. I mix those into a shot glass with water to make the worst-tasting stuff I have ever tasted. It's harder than downing a shot of tequila. But, I usually only have to do that once, and by the next day my skin has started to calm down. It works wonders.

8. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    A lot of the plants named I did not know could be used as medicine. I find this post very interesting. I knew about Aloe being used for sunburns and bites because I use it every summer. I might have to try some of these to see how they work.

9. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's more complicated to try and get the juice from the plant though so I just buy aloe juice in a bottle. Plus I like it more with flavor. It helps my GERD.

10. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    What does aloe taste like, Nickchick? I've heard of people drinking aloe juice. I had an aloe plant that I used for minor burns. Now, I use the store-bought gel. My son is allergic to just about everything but a little aloe vera has helped with minor skin irritations for him. It just didn't smell like something I'd think of eating. But, maybe with some lime or lemon it would be ok. It smells kind of like cucumber to me.

11. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    Thank you for sharing this information. I really believe in using plants first if they can be used to help or cure ailments we may have. I think too often we all run for the medicine cabinet and grab a few pills to fix every ache and pain. There are many alternatives to these medications that come with so many bad side affects. I watch the commercials on TV for different medications and the side affects are a mile long. Makes you wonder if taking the medicine is even worth it!!!

Danyel :(

12. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    The one plant that I constantly use for medicinal purpose is tulsi. It has all the required medicinal qualities and is highly used for Ayurvedic purposes. It is very important to know whether you are allergic to anything in particular and then only start using the Ayurvedic plants.

13. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    I have so many questions, akiii123. What conditions do you use tulsi for? Is Ayervedic another word for herbalistic, or is there a spiritual component? I used to drink a tulsi green tea. It did make me feel better. After drinking it, I felt sort of energized without feeling jittery.

14. Trex78

Trex78Member

Threads:
    Last year I got really sick with some kind of bug. Flu symptoms, sore throat, and an ear infection which cut my hearing almost to deafness. I wasn't deathly ill, but it wasn't a fun couple of weeks.

It wasn't the best-tasting remedy, but every day I made several kettles of strong peppermint (no caffeine) tea, with alot of fresh ginger and garlic mixed in. It really helped with the sore throat, as well as the chills of course.

15. Nickchick

Threads:
    It's hard to describe the taste. I can't really handle the plain aloe juice. I suppose the best way of describing it is it's just too tangy. I get the bottle with wild berry and I can handle that.

16. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Some plants that can be used as medicine are; Aloe Vera (Of course, for skin and hair care), Hibiscus, Neem, Jimbilin (For Chicken Pox), Leave of Life (For itches), and Mint leaf or chamomile. I really look to the natural products before looking to buy products from pharmacies, because the fact is, those same pharmacies, got their products from the natural products. What I try to do is keep a garden with all the necessary plants that I know will be of good use to me in time to come. :) Dandelion is also a very good plant! It can be used to treat liver,kidney and spleen problems. And for those with aching arthritis problems, Flaxseeds will do the job! Don't we just love plants!

17. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know a handful of plants that can be used as alternative sources of medicine:
    1. Mangosteen - has anti-cancer elements; can cure terminal diseases when taken regularly (boiled shell or as a supplement)
    2. Sappan wood - it commonly grows in the tropics; good for diabetes patients and people with skin problems
    3. Moringa Oleifera - abundant in the tropics; treats all kinds of diseases
    4. Garlic - ideal for people with lung or breathing problems; helps clear the lungs

18. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have all kinds of medicinal plants growing around the house. One of my favourite is aloe vera, a plant which has already been mentioned by an another poster. We use aloe vera for accidental burns in the kitchen and also as a sunburn treatment. On top of that I use it regularly to moisturize my skin, and once in a while I eat some of the pulp to improve my digestion. Aloe vera is definitely one of the most important plants for me to have around. It's a sturdy plant that is very easy to grow and hardly needs any attention.

19. Nickchick

Threads:
    This is very true about the last part because my mom says she has a black thumb. She kills all her plants except the aloes which stay strong. The funny thing is she is in the garden a lot where she works.

20. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Most will not believe this, but hemp or cannabis, is a very medicinal plant. I myself have done the Rick Simpson extraction process, and that has helped cured my sinus problems.

Comfry leaves, are a good external applicant to heal damaged skin and bone; I have a whole pound of this stuff.

A quick list of other plants I use for medicinal purposes are: ginger, garlic, peppermint, lavender, thyme, chamomile, and the dandelions one sees growing in their lawns.