Plasma vs LCD TV?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by kingusama92 • May 10, 2012.

1. kingusama92

kingusama92Active Member

Threads:
    There are pros and cons to both.

Currently, I own three LCD tvs, so I suppose I am firmly on the LCD side. When I made these purchases, it was obvious that LCDs were longer lasting.

In a house, where TV is watched a lot, longevity was of utmost importance. Plasma TVs tend to be of higher quality in the viewing department.

Which one do you propose is better? It`s all a matter of opinion.

2. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer LCD because it is more energy efficient. The plasma TV's drain a lot of power, and in California they were thinking about banning them. The pros about the plasma are the black levels are much darker than the LCD. The cons of a plasma screen is it's made of glass, and a lot of the time you will get a glare. LCD TV's do not have a glare, so you can watch them all the time. The plasmas have a shorter shelf life, and they also have a problem of burn-in. If you leave the TV paused too long, the image will be permanently burned into the TV. LCD's do not have this problem, but the colors on the LCD TV will start to fade with heavy use. My vote is for the LCD TV. Plasmas are too expensive, and they just don't work as well.

3. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer the LCD TVs myself. My daughter bought a plasma and although the picture is amazing, I am not too keen on the burn-in problem. When she told me that if her plasma TV ever did get a burn-in, the image never, ever goes away. That pretty much just ruined the TV! I wasn't aware that they also drain a lot of power and I am not sure that she is aware of that problem with her plasma either. I am so glad I have LCDs now.

4. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    You know I'm really not that knowledgeable in this area, because I can never tell the difference. I just got a new screen for my computer. Its 20 inches of awesomeness, but I'm not sure if its plasma. The screen sure is awesome though.

5. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I didn't know plasma TVs had better image quality. To me, LCD ones do. This is why I've always preferred those, and not just because they're expected to last a lot longer.

6. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    Wow! It must have been pretty cool living in a house with three LCD t.v's. Well we have one LCD tv in our home. It is close to a year old but it is still in very good condition and we never had a problem with it. We watch 6-12 hours of TV and DVD daily so it is pretty much in use for the last 8 months but it still works perfectly. By the way it is LG. WE don't have Plasma TV so I can't say anything about it.