Plastic Bags For Container Gardening.

Discussion in Home & Garden started by luckycharm • Dec 21, 2016.

1. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Earlier our Government was encouraging container gardening in each and every house. They also made available plastic bags with vegetable plants in it. We bought them at subsidized rates. But now there is a change in the strategy as plastic could be detrimental for environment health. Now we advocate use of clay pots or other non-plastic containers to grow plants.

The average life a plastic grow-bag is less than three years and after that it becomes a threat to nature. This clearly shows lack strategic thinking from Government authorities.

Do you use plastic bags in your garden?

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This may be a segue but it is directly related to the topic. I used to plant yam (that violet root crop) in a sack which is half filled with soil. The yam is a vine and after 8 months will have a big root that is harvestable. And since it is planted in a sack, it is very easy to harvest, no digging required. However, the sack is the jute sack because I have already learned that root crops are not good to be planted near plastic hence a plastic sack is out of the scene. With plastic bags, I use it as pots for my seedlings which makes it easier for transplanting. I agree that clay pots are cleaner in terms of chemicals but it doesn’t last long especially when the roots are already full grown, there is the probability of cracking.

3. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I have never used plastic bags for gardening, however, I have used plastic/metal container to plant my plants. I never throw away food containers and jars, instead I fill them with soil and use for gardening. I always use small plants on my plastic container. I am also thinking to use big plastic bags to grow vines.

4. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I never use plastic bags for gardening nor any type of containers. We don't have a large garden so we plant a couple of fruit seeds directly on the dirt already supplied by nature. We just throw them outside and spread them around. I think thing this method works fine and doesn't damage nature.

5. efrain silva

efrain silvaMember

Threads:
    I agree with this. Plus, there are many factors. Plastic is not what you think it is. It is not what it once was either. It is a bit tricky to explore. The more natural that you go, the better it is. Go to an all organic store for even the eco friendly bag and product; you will not go wrong here.....

6. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    You are right, jute sack is quite natural. I was not aware that plastic containers are not suitable for root crops. Usually we grow root crops outside in the open land where there is a lot of sunlight. But as you said growing them in sacks is easy to harvest.

Growing plant in the open land is the natural way to do it and it is beneficial for the environment too. But for people who have no land to cultivate, container gardening is a blessing. I think most of them use plastic pots or grow-bags as they are light and easy to handle. Clay pots are heavy and fragile too. Clay pots also absorb a major part of water we pour on plants. In our area a lot of people invested money on plastic container gardening.