Plastic Or Glass Jars?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Theo • Nov 8, 2015.

1. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The poster above hit the nail on the head for me, especially if you are going to use the jars for sprouting? I will only ever use glass jars. Plastic can develop and contain toxic chemicals that can get into your foods, and the whole point of me sprouting in the process is to have better control over what nutrients and goodness goes into my body. I don't want toxic chemicals to be amongst them.

2. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Though plastic jars are cheap, I would go for glass jars because they
    are more presentable. Contrary to popular opinion, they can last
    longer as one is likely to be more cautious when dealing with them as
    opposed to plastic jars because people assume they don't break easily
    and act carelessly resulting go breakages and attendant replacement
    costs which is expensive go the long run.

3. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I prefer plastic jars which are food grade over glass jars because they are safer and cost wise I have never paid much attention the difference. Also, plastic jars are much lighter than glass jars which are also another reason I prefer plastic containers in general.

4. Kimika

KimikaActive Member

Threads:
    As far as peanut butter is concerned, I buy the ones in glass jars since they have better quality. I think most products in glass jars are much better than the ones in plastic, aside from that I don't like the idea of my food in a plastic container. And I really like keeping containers since I do make a lot of pickled vegetables so I reuse some glass jars for my pickles.

5. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer glass jars because they are more hygienic, are easier to clean and always last longer. They are usually a little more expensive, but they are worth every penny.

6. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I like the glass jar for taste and they are more environmentally safer and better for your personal health as well. You can also use and reuse glass containers and they do not leach out potentially harmful chemicals when they come in contact with food like plastic can. I think its ok to transport food in plastic containers though but you should transfer the food to glass or ceramic containers before you microwave it.

7. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    When I buy new or replenish I seem to always go with the plastic and tupperware like items, but still to this day I think that I prefer the glass jars. Often I cannot explain my actions and this might be one of those cases.

8. Punkin

PunkinMember

Threads:
    I don't think the material the jar is made of has much impact on the overall freshness of the food. Peanut butter will separate no matter what it's stored in because, culinarily speaking, it's what's known as a weak emulsion. That is a chemical mixture in which lipids (fats) and water are chemically bound by a third "adaptor" chemical. This union doesn't last long unless you use a lot of weird preservatives.

More than the material, I would think freshness is probably a product of how well the lid seals. You're only going to get so far with natural foods that don't have preservatives, but a tight seal is half the battle. Look for brands that have at least two or three threads on screw-on caps. Also make sure you're keeping your jar in a cool, dark place. Sunlight does a lot to chemically break down your food, especially when it's in clear containers that don't filter UV light at all.

Beyond that, I'm a big fan of using glass containers whenever possible. There are disturbing ecological studies that show we are filling the ocean with plastic. Marine animals are ingesting it involuntarily. There is a process called bioaccumulation in which a chemical ingested by a smaller animal tends to build up in larger animals who use them as their primary food source, concentrating the pollution. Unfortunately, we then harvest the larger fish. The problem is so new to science that there are no longitudinal studies to tell us what the health consequences of ingesting these plastics will be, but I doubt it will be anything nice.

9. Haroon Rasheed

Haroon RasheedMember

Threads:
    I like both plastic and glass jars but,I will raise my hands to support plastic jars.Because nowadays many plastic jars are very cheaper and attractive in the markets.Some plastic jars are also available with attractive paintings on them.I don't like to use glass jars because any slight accident could send my glass to a dust bin.Just because of this disadvantage of glass jars,many people are switching to plastic jars.People are switching to plastic jars because these jars are more durable and cheaper than glass jars.

10. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    We are lucky here that we get most of our peanut butter brands in glass bottles. Actually glass is healthier than even the edible quality of plastic and comes in handy mostly for the pickles that my wife prepares herself. Keeping them in plastic jars or bottles changes the taste or the pickles do not prepared properly.

11. jakub

jakubMember

Threads:
    Glass is significantly heavier and to be honest i don't find it as convenient since the chance of breaking and making a mess increases.

12. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that a glass jar cost more, and it is safer to keep the product inside healthier. A plastic jar is cheaper but it is very useful as well, but I don't think is healthier to use plastic, that is why I prefer the glass jar.

13. Paige J

Paige JNew Member

Threads:
    I love peanut butter out of a glass jar. It always seems much more fresh and natural. Also it's nice to reuse the container to make other goodies with. It's also better for the environment to buy glass over plastic because it can be recycled much more easily.

14. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    Well, it depends on what you are trying to store in the jar because that will go a long way in changing your mind to buy from one store or another. If it is something that moisture can affect, then using the glass jar will do you go to preserve it for a long time, irrespective of the price that it will cost while if it is a product that moisture can't really affect, then using the plastic jar is preferable.

I use the plastic jar to store my provisions like powdered milk, tea and sugar while my groundnuts are stored in a glass jar because if it is exposed to moisture that much, the taste will change. So, it depends on if moisture can affect what you want to store.

15. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually there isn't much problem if one use good quality edible plastic jars for storing food but why I mentioned that I prefer glass jars is that when my wife wants to save money by preparing pickles for self use she must use glass jars as they soak sunlight better than plastic jars which is must during preparing pickles.