Plastic or Metal Fasteners?

Discussion in Office Supplies started by chiofthenorns • Sep 3, 2014.

1. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    At work, there are two kinds of paper fasteners: paper and plastic. I always tell my boss that the plastic one is better because it doesn't rust. However, she likes the metal ones better because they are more durable. Do you have these in your country? I was wondering how I will be able to convince her that we should just get plastic fasteners. She doesn't like my argument that they are colorful. :p

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I too prefer metal fasteners but they are becoming increasingly less common. Pretty soon your boss will be forced to buy the plastic kind. For most employers, unless you can find the plastic ones for cheaper than the metal ones, she will be hard to convince. If you find them cheaper and she still doesn't want to change, maybe you could try to purchase them for certain types of projects. For example, if you are doing a presentation where you will be handing out flyers to prospective clients, the metal clips might leave puncture marks in the paper and will not be as appealing. The plastic clips could be used to market your office to the public making you look more stream lined as the metal clips do scream 'old school.'

3. sharpayvargas1

sharpayvargas1Member

Threads:
    Rarely do I now see someone who uses metal fasteners and even in stores. Honestly, I've never experienced to used one. I have the impression that I could cut my own hands if I will use metal fasteners. Plastics, on the other hand, I believe is a lot safer and there are a lot of colors to choose from. When I was in grade school, It was a rule for me to choose the color that matches to the color of the folder

4. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I like more the plastic fasteners. I just simply think that they are safer and lighter compared to the metal ones. When the metal ones rust, they leave stains and dirt on the document and they would even be harder to pull out and hard to touch. Another thing I opt for plastic fasteners is for aesthetics. They look better, and you have more choices as they come in different colors, that could also be paired with different colored folders.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As you well know, arguing that a fastener is colorful, hence the reason for using it, may not be convincing enough. Perhaps you can highlight the disadvantage of metal fasteners, that they rust over time and when they get wet. That is a convincing assertion, right? Maybe you can convince your boss with this argument.

6. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I think it is quite fascinating that your boss being female chooses metal over colorful plastic. When it comes to presentation it would be a colorful fastener; when it comes to drafts it would be metal then it can go in the trash with the draft when it's no longer needed.

7. nonsiccus

nonsiccusActive Member

Threads:
    If your document is getting wet or even damp then you may have more pressing issues to contend with than rust. I think the use case really dictates the preference here - if all you need is the fastening functionality, I think the only consideration would be price per unit.

If you're needing a decorative fastener, then obviously plastic is the best choice, though in recent times with the advent of the green push you may get some flak for picking that option.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer the plastic covered ones, but it's been so long since I bought a fastener that I don't know if I still have them at home.