Plastic Or Real Christmas Trees?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Jason76 • Dec 18, 2016.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    In some nations, a Christmas tree is a big deal. However, some settle for plastic ones because they are cheaper, unless of course, you live in some rural area where they can be cut down. Nonetheless, a real Christmas tree normally has a natural tree sound and look that makes it a superior product to a plastic one.

By the way, what kinds of trees do you like for Christmas trees? Do you live in a tropical land where evergreen trees cannot be used? In that case, what kind of tree is used?

Did you know the Christmas tree phenomenon started in Germany? Why do you think it became so popular in certain nations?

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a sentimental person and I would like to perpetuate the family’s tradition of a real Christmas tree – the pine tree that exudes the pine scent. It is expensive here but I save money for the budget since it is only once a year. However, some years past, I learned that the pine tree can catch fire and ignire instantly. That means it can burn our house, that fast. With the thought, I was forced to use the plastic Christmas tree. For this year, it is the plastic tree but I still have plans in the future to buy the real pine tree.

3. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    I never have seen a real Christmas tree here even in any of our friends' house for whom this is the primary festival. I have only seen plastic variety, bigger or smaller. At this time of the year, every shopping mall, restaurant, marketplace is decorated with Christmas trees. None of them are real though.

4. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Since there are no real Christmas trees sold near here no one owns a real one. I guess it would be nice to own a real one someday, I heard it has a very nice outdoorsy scent to it. There is a big variety of fake christmas trees here so I think we are okay with having them fake besides we could put them away to use the next year which is a huge money saver.

5. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I am not too freak about getting a Christmas tree anyway. The thing is I would like a real Christmas tree for the Yuletide if someone is sending one to me. I see the plastic tree as not of value or a mere piece of art work. I'd go for the real tree or celebrate without any tree.

6. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    When I was kid I looked for a cut of bushes for our Christmas tree. Or I had to be contented using a cut of coffee branches for our Christmas tree. I removed its leaves and painted it with white paint. Or my late mother wrapped it with the white crepe paper and then she planted it in an empty paint can filled with small stones to let it stand. Then she decorated it with Christmas balls, minute toys and a big star on top.

7. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Here most people use plastic Christmas trees. But one of my friends got a bonsai version of a pine tree which is used as a Christmas tree. Every year he use to prune the branches and make it like a Christmas tree. It looks awesome and being an environmentalist he is against cutting trees for anything.

In our office we have a plastic tree which has been using for the last five years or so. After Christmas we keep it safe so that we can use it for next year. Though I am against using plastic, we can minimize it by reusing the same tree.

8. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I live in a really small flat, so I don't have the space to have a big tree. For the same reason I am not buying a new real tree every year, as I have a small plastic one that is been serving me well for some years now. Also, I prefer to let the real trees live, instead of using them for a couple of weeks and throwing them away.

9. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Here in Hawaii we get ours shipped here from the mainland from tree farms. We have local ones you can buy from the tree farm, but the pine is a local stock pine tree, Norfold Island Pine or Cook Island Pine are sold locally.
    [​IMG]
    (image frome and more information here

.)

[​IMG]

I bought one of these local Christmas trees one year. The one I bought did not have the wonderful traditional Christmas tree scent. As you can buy them in pots you'll have a new plant to take care of after Christmas too. When I was growing up we sold Christmas trees at our little family grocery store for a couple of years. I'd help tie it up while my grandpa put it on the customers car. I love the scent of Christmas trees. Now we have a crocheted one infused with Christmas lights which stand just about a foot tall that we light up every Christmas from my Aunt who has passed now.

10. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Really interesting post you have right there @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe, I had no idea Hawaii was an exporter for Christmas trees! Now I am thinking about Christmas in Hawaii, I am guessing there it's summer all year long and you spend Christmas at the beach? :) It's so cold where I live!!

11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Not that I know of about Hawaii exporting Christmas trees. We import in to Hawaii those beautiful fir and another type that smells so nicely. The local Christmas trees grow on a farm like

. They sell locally is all I know of. At this farm they have Norfolk Christmas trees. The one I bought is a different kind of tree not as full as Helemanos' trees. This year there was a shortage of Christmas trees.

12. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    OK, so I misunderstood, sorry. I was finding odd that Hawaii exports Christmas trees, but anything could happen! At the same time, I think plastic not only is more cheap, but also preserves nature, unless it's one of those tree rental programs that we get to return them after Christmas.

13. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Considering so many people live in tropical lands, I think the real Christmas tree business might be a good one to get into. However, it would be one where the profits wouldn't come quick for sure. Anyhow, I always prefer a real Christmas tree, even though you can buy scents for a fake one that smells real. Note, as far as price is concerned, I think quality matters and a real one is a better deal even though it's usually more.

Anyhow, real or fake, I think this whole idea is especially important for kids. I know when I was a kid Christmas trees fascinated me with all the ornaments and whatnot.

14. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    This year for the first time I bought a Christmas tree and had fun decorating it. I was looking for and bought a plastic one because I had the intention of storing it for repeated use.

Real tree would need to be discarded and I don't find that frugal. So, plastic tree is what I prefer.

15. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Actually this Christmas I had a flashback as my parents-in-law have a real Christmas tree in their place and I haven't seen one in a while. He goes with a little ax into the woods and cuts a piece of a pine tree, so it's done in a old-fashioned way. :)

16. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    England has a cold climate and we grow our own trees as well as importing them. It feels a little sad to cut all these trees down every year although we always used to have a real one when I was growing up.

Now I am an adult, I prefer to have a huge artificial tree that I can take out each year.

17. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    You used to have a real one? What do you mean @janemariesayed@janemariesayed, you had a yard and it was planted there?

Sure, a real tree has another effect, but not only is more expensive, more messy, but we also harming nature just for some days. Those are great childhood memories though. :)

18. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    Sorry, @to7update@to7update I didn't mean I had one growing in my garden, but we would buy real trees every year and bring it home, decorate it and then throw it out after the Christmas period was over. A sister of mine used to have one in a huge pot on her patio which she would bring indoors over the holiday. I agree with you, they are very messy and we should not be cutting them down. Some artificial trees are better than the real thing. They can cost the same and last for years instead of just the one year. ;)

19. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, exactly @janemariesayed@janemariesayed, I have my small plastic Christmas tree, I am looking at it right now :), and in some days we just put it in the box and outside to the storage room is goes until the next year. It's really practical and cheap! :D

20. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    We used to have a big plastic Christmas tree when I was a kid. But now that I have my own family, we celebrate Christmas without a tree. Well, for me, it isn't a wise thing to buy. I know that a lot of people would not agree, but I just do not buy things that we do not need. I would rather buy gifts than a tree full of decorations.