Plastic plates

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Gelsemium • Oct 21, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't mind using either and sometimes I even prefer using plastic plates or plastic spoons and forks. I don't really have a concrete reason behind this but I guess I've just grown to be more comfortable with them. Even when I'm at home I'll sometimes use plastic spoon and forks but I rarely use plastic plates since I like to use the microwave so regular plates serve me better.

2. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They are really convenient for parties, that undebatable. I mean, I don't liking eating in them as well, but at the end of the day when the party is over it's great just to throw them in the garbage instead of having a huge pile of dishes to wash.

3. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I try to use them sparingly because they are not good for the environment. There are some situations where disposable plates are needed like picnics or other outdoor events. It is hard to transport and keep regular dishes protected.

4. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I think that environment concern is a valid one, but what can we do really? Sure, I agree that it's in our hands to protect the environment and that every single detail helps, but does this mean we should not use them? I am not using them on the day-to-day, that's a fact.

5. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    I've never used any types of plastic plates. I have glass plates and that is what I use all the time. Getting rid of plastic is difficult to do here. I do not want to add to the waste management problems that we are already facing in my country. So, in order to do my part and not contribute to this problem, I do not use plastic plates or utensils. Plus, plastic is just way too expensive here. My glass plates will last me a lifetime and they are cheaper.

6. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That's what I use on my daily activities as well, I mean, actually I do have some plastic plates for the kids to eat the bread, I feel it's safer than the glass ones. About using them all the time Serena, isn't that a lot of work when you throw a party? A lot of dishes to wash...!

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For small parties in the house, we normally use the paper plates and paper cups. We do not want the disposable plastic or even the styrofoam type. The paper plate is much better and doesn't look toxic at all. We always have a pack or 2 of disposable paper plates and paper cups in case of unexpected house guests, we are prepared somehow.

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To be honest i really dislike eating on plastic plates, and with plastic knives, spoons and forks. I much prefer using regular ones. Of course, if I am at a party or event and only plastic is available I will use them. But if I was throwing a party I would use regular ones.

9. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not a fan of disposable crockery at all. I think they are a waste of both resources and money. Having said that, there are only two people in the house. I'm sure I might feel differently if I had a bunch of hungry kids to contend with!

10. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    When I was child, everything out there was plastic, including furniture! So that I based my choices on the plastic culture that teaches you no all plastic plates are the same.

With plastic you find superb cheap disposable plates, spoons and so on that I think are not worth at all even if only for party time. Then it comes a better quality plastic, but flexible that may serve for this purpose (parties) as it is cheap, but yet durable.

After this comes a series of different, better and stronger plastics including melamine, which is my main choice as everyday dishware, with a few counted ceramic, glass, clay and porcelain sets or lose plates for special servings, while most of my cutlery is stainless steel.

11. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I like to use regular cutlery when we have company over unless it is a really large group and then I'll get plastic plates and forks. I buy them from the dollar store and they are sturdy enough to go through the dishwasher and be reused. I've had the same set of plastic dishes for over 10 years that I only paid $1.00 for.

12. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually stick with regular chinaware and silverware. Even when i'm entertaining, it's never for a large number of people, so I don't bother with disposables. I can understand catering to a huge number of people and getting disposable plates and knives and forks, to avoid having to tackle the huge mountain of dish washing after. If I did regularly entertain on a large scale, I'd definitely do it. I find these are especially useful when you have a bunch of kiddies to entertain.