Plastic wrappers

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Dora M • Mar 26, 2014.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you ever get annoyed when you need a small thing such as a razorblade or a pair of tweezers and it comes in this huge sealed plastic square for which you need almost special skills to dig it out? I find the waste from packaging enormous. The other day I read about the mysterious death of a whale. After some examinations it turned out that its stomach was filled with plastic and had obstructed its bowels. I also read about "plastic beach" in Hawaii. The "sand" there consists of broken bits of plastic.
    The worst is that I have to pay for the excessive packaging that I find totally unnecessary. These days I demand they remove the packaging for me at the counter and keep it.

2. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    Haha. Are you talking about these?
    210px-Wrap_Rage_Example.
    If so, I hate this kind of packaging too. Why does it have to exist? It seems overly complicated and they are dangerous because of the sharp edges before and after you try to open and cut them up. I've bought so many products with this type of packaging too.

3. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    Even worse than having to pay for the excessive packaging is having to toss it out. I agree that some items need protection and the packaging provides it. I get my light bulbs (as pictured above) in cardboard packages they can at least be recycled. In a day and age where we are supposed to be environmentally aware, it is a shame that packaging remains such a wasteful item. I dislike the clamshell packages that are used for baked goods. The old style paper bag or even a plastic bag works for most items. Cake boxes without the window work well for iced items and they are also recyclable.

4. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    That packaging is the worst, I don't know how it came to be so prevalent a package, but I always hear people complaining about it, never any positive words.
    Does it have any advantage that I'm missing, that regular packaging doesn't have?

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that the excessive and hard to open packaging for razors is supposed to be to curtail shoplifting. Once at CVS, I asked why some of their razors have locks. They told me that razors are one of their most frequently shoplifted items. If a razor is packaged in those hard, sealed plastic squares with a sensor tag stuck to it, thieves won't able to discretely open the package and they'll give up.
    So I think that's the reason for it. I still hate it when I cut myself on one of those hard plastic packages when I buy small electronic items. I cut myself pretty good on the package for a USB drive.

6. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    I agree, can I add that trying to get a barbie doll open takes forever! Especially when you have a little girl sitting next to you anxiously waiting and waiting while you untwist a tie for her hair, each arm and leg, her next, her shoes, and any else she comes with! So frustrating and I end up with all this garbage that is not necessary.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, not really, I don't get annoyed when I encounter one of those items that are packaged in hard and very sealed plastic. I think it sometimes fits the purpose, that's why they are packaged like that, to be able to protect the item. Besides, you can just get a scissor and cut through that hard packaging.

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    While I hate that type of packaging, too, I find that reaction to be a little rude. Why is it acceptable for you to DEMAND a cashier remove the packaging and keep it? They're not the ones who chose to package an item like that, nor are they the ones packaging or distributing it. They're just cashiers usually and don't have any reason to keep the packaging either. They're going to toss it in the trash the same way you would. I hope that was simply an exaggeration and you're politely asking them to cut the package open for you instead.

9. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's a little rude to demand they remove the packaging and keep it at the counter. The cashier didn't decide to package it like that. Their job is to ring up, not to take off your packaging. They probably only make minimum wage. I just think that's excessive.

That being said, I hate that kind of packaging. Not only is it very wasteful, but it is nearly impossible to open, even with scissors. Plus, the sharp edges always jab me.

10. Qualitycontent

QualitycontentMember

Threads:
    Now it seems like anything you buy has excessive packaging. And trying to break through the packaging to the item you bought is quite a task. Some stores get mad if you return the item and the packaging is torn. I don't think that is fair. First, when you open the packaging you do not intend to return the item, second, it is such a chore to get to the item that you have to deem to use any technique necessary to get to the product. It is a waste, and damage to the planet when all this packaging is disposed of too.

11. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh, I hate those! It's like they are trying to make a person proof seal! I always need scissors or something like that to open them, and as those are not always widely available I need to go out of my way to open them.... I understand the need to protect the product both from robbery and to keep it from breaking, but there has to be an easier, lighter and simpler way to get the same effect. Not to mention those heavy thick plastics will take forever to decompose!