Plate Size

Discussion in Food & Drink started by cocolgooh • Aug 3, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    Using a smaller plate will mean that you eat less food, because you can't get as much on the plate as you normally could. If you've got a big plate you're more likely to pile the food onto it and feel like you need more to keep you full. By making sure you're using a smaller plate, you can cut down on the size of the portion you're eating, thus saving money and eating more healthily, but still feel like you're eating a full plate of food.

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I think small plates are better in terms of fewer calories as well. I think that many people can save money when they are choosing to use smaller plates. I think it is just one of the ways to consider when you are thinking about saving money and how best to go abour that task. It is just one of the many ways to trim fat out of the budget and not notice it.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @cocolgooh@cocolgooh...I absolutely agree! I'm a huge fan of portion size control and I think that's what works best for me. I can't be doing with cutting certain food groups because I love food hehe. So I'd rather eat everything, just in smaller portions. I think I'll be doing this because although I do try to cut my portion size, it doesn't quite work because I still put the food on a regular sized plate. Maybe it's time I switched to a kiddie plate LOL

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a full set of plates in the cabinet, but I seem to use the same few lunch sized plates and bowls again and again. In addition, I've found that since I'm using smaller plates and bowls, it's also best to use salad forks and teaspoons, rather than dinner forks and soup spoons. When I try to use full size flatware, they have a tendency to be too large for the plate/bowl, and flop out, which sometimes means food splatters. I'm actually considering buying a set of teaspoons and salad forks instead of full sized flatware when I replace the set I'm using.

5. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    Actually I have tried this. This works on a psychological level. When we use a small plate a small quantity of food will appear large,whereas when we use large plate, even a large quantity of food will appear small. Using smaller plates will help you reduce the quantity of food you take during the meal.

6. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I saw this on a program about food the other night. When given a large plate and people are asked to serve themselves they will take a larger portion than when they are given a slightly smaller plate. It's quite deceiving but a smaller plate will encourage you to eat less and not over eat. It's only natural that people will fill their plate regardless of the size of the plate. Then you end up eating more than you needed. I am thinking of switching to smaller plates for our dinnerware for this reason. I wonder if all you can eat buffets know about this.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nice observation! But for someone that loves to eat and has a tendency to return and return to get more servings until they get full, then I don't think this is would work, lol. But for those who can actually discipline themselves to eat less food, a smaller plate size would be perfect for them.

8. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    okay so i have been going to the gym for over 6 months ! I was going every day for 45 minutes, then I moved and started going 3 times a week for an hour and working out at home, in all that time i literally lost no weight at all.....then last week I started eating out of a small bowl (instead of a normal size) its a little over a cup. All of my meals out of this bowl, and I don't feel hungry afterwards and I have lost 10 pounds in a week, now i have had "seconds" with this bowl but even having seconds every now and again it still only adds up to a normal size bowl of food!!