Polymer Clay Handicrafts (and Other Clay Works)

Discussion in Misc & Others started by rikka • May 8, 2015.

1. rikka

rikkaMember

Threads:
    I started being interested in polymer clay when an author (a local author who is also a teacher) posted about a polymer clay workshop for kids. I started researching about polymer clay items such as fashion accessories and little cute cupcakes. My frustrated dream is to sculpt a polymer Asian doll because purchasing a ball-jointed doll is very expensive and time-consuming for me (because of shipment).

But then, I also discovered air-dry clay. I am not sure which of the two is a better option, but I guess a polymer clay is. However, I still have to save for my own thermometer oven.

For those into polymer clay, can I make fashion accessories like earrings and necklace pendants from air-dry clay?

2. Missfireflower

MissfireflowerNew Member

Threads:
    I've really wanted to get into this. I have a friend who makes charms for her hair bows from Sculpey clay and they are so amazing! She uses the Sculpey tools for detailing as well and she has nothing but good things to say about it!

I think I might try this and report back. :D

3. jusjalynn

jusjalynnMember

Threads:
    With air dry clay, it tends to be more cracked (for me). I think that you can try to use air dry clay, and finish it with mod podge so it can have the same look as polymer clay. I also noticed that polymer clay is more sturdy than air dry. I bake my polymer clay in a standard oven, and it bakes fine to me.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's really easy to make anything you want out of polymer clay, be they fashion accessories, little toys, bric a brac, and so on. The options are endless. The only thing that will stop you from creating fascinating hand-made items is the limit of your own imagination. :) There are plenty of sites on the net, even forums and creative discussion groups that you can join for an endless supply of new ideas. :)

5. rikka

rikkaMember

Threads:
    Wow, thanks guys! I will try polymer clay soon. I am trying air dry clay because I am also saving money for the oven, as the oven we have at home is for food. And experts repeat to use a separate oven for clay.

@jusjalynn@jusjalynn , I noticed it with air dry clay too! It cracks. :( Also, I have to have a standby source of water so that I can mold my clay when it tends to get dry. So tricky. I like polymer clay, but the one thing stopping me yet is the oven. I might get one soon, probably next year.

Oh, also, @jusjalynn@jusjalynn, is it all right to use white polymer clay and just color if before molding? Having a variety of colored polymer clay is nice, in my opinion, but while on a budget, I want to start with an affordable option. Is it okay to mix color to white clay?

#5Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2015