Popcorn To Lose Weight?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by chiofthenorns • May 19, 2015.

1. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Is it true that eating popcorn can make you lose weight? I read somewhere that popcorn, like nuts, can make you feel full for a long period of time. So, if you will eat it (minus the salt and other artificial flavoring) it can help you lose some pounds. Is this true? Has anyone tried this before?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have and have friends that do this too as popcorn is a low fat snack. It fills you up, is tasty and is low in calories as it is not fried. I like the flavored popcorn; barbecue or sour cream and onion are good and they are inexpensive.

I would eat it instead of chips or fries instead not as well as. So eat it with a sandwich or salad it keeps the calorie count low.

3. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Popcorn is certainly a great way to fill up if you are watching the calories. Just as long as it's not the flavoured, sugared or toffee glazed type, of course!

4. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    The problem with popcorn is that people always want it with salt and butter. My husband even makes it more fattening by adding blocks of cheese! So it depends on how you eat your popcorn. I have sprinkled things like curry mix, or chili seasoning on my popcorn and it helps me get over the fact that there is no butter. Also olive oil drizzled on (lightly or else it will be salty) is a healthier alternative as well.

5. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with adding salt and butter! I bought plain popcorn to try this diet, but it just doesn't seem right for me. It doesn't taste as good. :/

6. Jannnnjan

JannnnjanActive Member

Threads:
    In the UK we have one cal spray oil which is a dieters dream. You can spray it on popcorn and then add sweetener granules and it tastes like sweet popcorn without the calories. I use this spray oil to fry, bake and roast. I couldn't be on a diet without it.

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Corn itself can make you feel full. I've heard of trainers recommending the intake of corn whenever person on weight-training starts to lose his motivation. Corn is like a substitute rice. In fact, in my locality, corn grains are mass produced as alternative rice grains. People on a diet prefer to eat them.

8. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    It definitely helps. I don't care what you put on it, it is still going to be lower in calories than most snack alternatives. And it does fill you up. Plus, it's satisfying whether you choose to make it sweet, salty, cheesy (though maybe not with "blocks of cheese" as someone above said). I like mine plain with a bit of sea salt or sweet with a bit of chocolate and marshmallow in it. I'm not crazy about caramel corn. Never have been.

9. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Seriously, people say it does not matter what you put on it, but I'm pretty sure that any time I saw this advice, it was about nature popcorn -- no salt, no butter, etc. Because, I mean, butter is very caloric (and so is caramel!).

10. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    Popcorn is a great low calorie snack, BUT it does matter what you put in it. Why? Because you have to watch what your eating throughout the day anyway and adding things like salt and butter (NOT good) will have you watching more. You're only supposed to eat a certain amount of fats and sugars and sodium during the day, especially if you're on a diet.

The BEST way to eat popcorn as a snack is to have it plain (natural). It is even better if it's air popped instead of kettle popped.

11. keytcee

keytceeMember

Threads:
    I've been following a diet plan recently and one of the snacks that they've suggested was popcorn so I'm guessing it is quite healthy and is known to lose weight. It will only work if you don't put loads of flavorings on it, though. Don't think that by putting cheese powder on it, you'll lose weight because you definitely won't. I've heard people putting a healthier type of salt on their popcorn so that it doesn't feel like you're eating cardboard. I'd have to research for that type of salt again but popcorn is definitely a snack for people who are wanting to lose weight or people who simply want a healthier snacking option.

12. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    Plain popcorn has few calories, lots of fiber and certainly can aid in weight loss! Try a cup or two instead of chips or cookies. I love to put hot sauce on mine, gives lots of flavor with few added calories!
    My girl now puts olive oil and Parmesan cheese on hers. It does add a few extra calories but still a better option that most snacks.

13. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    I had no idea popcorn was a low calorie snack, i always feel guilty if i eat too much of it at the cinema, now i don't need to worry as long as i have it plain of course. I was aware however that champagne is supposed to be a good drink as it contains few calories. I guess that's just for those of us that can afford it though. I know it is drunk by jockeys as they have to be very careful with their weight. I have heard of one or two jockeys that have become alcoholics on champagne. There is always a downside to everything.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I know of a few people who tried this and so far I don't think the habit stuck with any of them. I think it's because even though it's a great and cheap way to lose weight it's still not a good enough substitute for a long term plan and a change in lifestyle and eating habits. It's still much better to get as much nutrition you can get off of vegetable but I think it's a great and cheap substitute for snack items like potato chips and french fries.

15. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Good luck finding plain popcorn at the movie theater. That is HIGHLY unlikely.

Instead, look for plain bags at the grocery store or pop your own kernals (so long as you buy the unbuttered kind).

I don't think adding a little salt is that bad either, so long as you keep it in check and don't go overboard.

16. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This diet?? What diet are you referring to? Popcorn is not a healthful food, first of all.. when people think of losing weight, they need to think about what contributes to their health.. not what won't put on weight. It's the first step in continuing with weight issue your entire life, if you continue thinking this way. That said, it is a good snack food and isn't bad for you.. it's when you coat it in everything it becomes just like anything else. Because it DOES matter what's going on it. Most here will only think of that one meal and not consider the accumulations going on in their bodies from the many single meals they don't think affect the next or their bodies in general as long as they didn't gain weight. If you want to lose weight.. eat for health. You won't even need to try after that.

17. bonzer

bonzerActive Member

Threads:
    Corn is great for nutrition. It has a lot of dietary fiber and keeps you full for long. I personally like salted popcorn, but if cheese is added you gulp in more calories. If you can prepare it at home, perhaps you can have all the nutritive benefits of corn and lose weight too

18. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only recently just discovered that popcorn is considered to be a healthy snack, and was shocked. But then I remembered how it is that I prefer my popcorn, and that is sweet. I already have tooth problems already, and eating a bunch of sugary popcorn isn't going to do me any favors. Popcorn that doesn't have so much sugar on is said to be healthy though.

19. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Popcorn isn't healthy if it's key to a diet.. I'm worried about that aspect of her post. Not all fibres are the same and the few benefits it offers isn't worth it if it's a big chunk of her diet. If she's not eating healthfully in general, it can get very risky for her digestive tract. If part of a proper diet and your digestion isn't compromised, it's fine for you.. just make sure you're well hydrated lol.

#19Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  20. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of this, but the sheer satisfaction of eating popcorn, seems like it would cut food cravings. The only problem I would have is that I love plenty salt and butter. This wouldn't work for me because I can eat a large tub of popcorn all by myself.