Portable Gaming?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Khronic • Apr 2, 2013.

1. Khronic

KhronicNew Member

Threads:
    Do any of you guys use portable game devices like Nintendo DS or a PSP? I've been looking around for one to get for myself since I'm often on the subway for longer of periods of time these days. I often just game on my phone if I have the time but sometimes that can get a bit repetitive.

2. chrislyons88

chrislyons88New Member

Threads:
    My brother has the 3Ds and the Nintendo DS. He has it for the typical nintendo titles. mario, zelda etc. I on the other had just have an iphone which I think is a bit better. It's the same portability but now its on my phone. so I don't have to travel around with 2 items in my pockets just to entertain myself on the bus. Oh shoot got a call, time to pause my game. shoot where is my phone? In the bag!?! ahhhh

So the iphone is a bit simpler and easier for me. Then again I don't go nintendo crazy for new titles.

my 2 cents'

3. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't experience in this regard many, but if you have in mind to purchase a portable console, I share with you a few guidelines that you should consider. Currently, the market is divided between the PSVita and Nintendo 3DS. Of course there are other alternatives, but those two consoles dominate the sales. PSVita is ideal for demanding users, seeking quality graphics and have the closest thing to your home console but with the benefits of portability. This console has the best graphics and display in the market, thanks to its OLED technology. His control is almost the same as the PS3 and has a great digital entertainment store. On the other hand, Nintendo 3DS is for lovers of 3D graphics, fans of Nintendo exclusive franchises, a younger or more concerned public with the fun than realism. Its size is ideal to carry everywhere. The 3D effect can be adjusted and even removed. It's a console that takes longer on the market with many classic games. :D

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Another handy feature of the PSVita that Bloomatic didn't mentioned is that the PSVita can communicate with the PS3.
    Here's what I read online: "The PlayStation Vita can play full PS3 titles on remote play, pull off transferring, share game saves with the PS3, even play games online together with the PS3 on the same server."

So ,basically you can start a game at home on your PS3, and continue it on the Vita on the way to work.
    That's pretty handy if you own a PS3.

5. steam455

steam455New Member

Threads:
    If I was you I would look into finding an emulator for your phone. By using a game emulator you can play games from previous generations of game consoles. I find it to be very nostalgic! If I had to choose between the DS and the PSP though, I would go with the PSP. The DS is great and all, but the PSP offers better games in my opinion.

6. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have one but I really want one

7. bibbyboy

bibbyboyNew Member

Threads:
    I used to be into gaming on the go back in the day with a PSP that I would take everywhere with me, but as time has gone on I don't have nearly as much time for that as I used to. I bring my laptop around with me and I can just as easily play games on that, albeit I have to turn the graphical settings all the way down to get games to run on any playable level. I'm currently saving up to buy a much better gaming setup, but that's probably not going to happen for awhile. However, if you have time during the day like a long commute, then I don't see why you shouldn't invest in a hand-held gaming system.

8. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Don't get the new ones. At least yet, because there isn't many exclusive titles for them.
    Get a PSP, a model 2000 if you can, and put a custom firmware in that.

I already had like 7 of those because i kept selling them to friends that really ended up liking the system, so in the end i always got the best deal out of all this.

9. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had a PSP once but I eventually sold it to a friend. I now purely use my android device to play games while on the go. Though most of the available games seem to be mini-games, they're still fine by me because most of them are free. There are also a lot of console-quality games on Android that conld be downloaded for free like Shadow Gun DeadZone and Dead Trigger.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'd recommend the old PSP over anything else. I think that one provides the most replay value out of all the other portable consoles including the newer version called PS Vita. The only problem I would say that the old PSP has is that it is a bit bulky, although not really by that much especially if you have a bag to carry it in. It definitely won't fit in your jean pockets.

11. Far_Mur_Jo

Far_Mur_JoNew Member

Threads:
    I own a DS with an R4 cartridge and a 16gb micro SD card in it. I can literally play that thing forever and never get bored! Roms are pretty small, between 30 and 150mb, so you can only imagine how many games and applications you can lug around everywhere you go. Best part is you can emulate almost all other Nintendo consoles - it's insane!

12. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Get the DS if you're determined to use last gen and Vita if you're going for current. The DS is great since it has a lot of awesome games and will fit in your pocket easy as anything. The Vita is great because it's awesome.

13. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm glad that you mentioned emulation. I forgot to state that Android devices could also emulate the games of past Nintendo and Sega consoles and even old Nintendo handhelds. If you have a powerful Android device like the Samsung Galaxy S3 or the Samsung Galaxy note, you would be treated to emulation goodness wherever you go. And, the emulators are free!

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to play with game n' watches and the Game Boy color when I was young, but now during my free time outside, I just surf the net using my mobile phone. It seems that I now prefer to surf more than gaming nowadays.

15. danealegana

danealeganaActive Member

Threads:
    I have a PSP 3000 slim that I bought in Dubai Airport in 2008 when I had a stopover there. I bought it mainly for gaming but nowadays, I only play one game which is NBA 2k13. I mostly used it now as my portable audio and video entertainment while traveling because I want to save my smartphones battery for important calls instead of using it for entertainment purposes.

16. EdenSB

EdenSBActive Member

Threads:
    I also recommend the PSP over anything else. It has the best library of games by far. If you put custom firmware on it, you can also use a large variety of emulators which the shape of the controls fits well with. I sometimes play a lot of Super Mario World on my PSP.

The DS is also fun sometimes. I wouldn't recommend the 3DS due to lack of games. The Vita seems a bit better in that area, but not worth the price yet.

17. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    I would go with the Nintendo DS. There are many great games waiting for you to play it. I've played many games on it back then and played many great titles like Pokemon and Mario.

18. oracewx

oracewxNew Member

Threads:
    I do own a PSP!! It was the best thing that ever happen to me when I first got it although it was like 10 years late. If you get bored easily from playing the same game over and over then I'd suggest getting a NDS instead of a PSP cause they are still making games for the NDS but no more for the PSP unless you get the Ps Vita. NDS games are mainly targeted to childrens but that does not mean adults can't play them. PSP are targeted towards a more mature audience and they are like a mini PS3 cause the games they have are RPG with a story line while NDS mainly have games that lets you burn time when riding the bus / train.

19. Teddysean

TeddyseanNew Member

Threads:
    I loved my DS, and I think I will buy a 3DS once the price is lowered. I love Nintendo's games, and the casual genre more so than sony's more hardcore playerbase.

20. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    I use to play on portable gaming devices when I was younger. As I got older portable gaming, became boring to me. I stopped playing portable games a while back because it stopped being entertaining. I think they should make a few tweaks to portable gaming that would give it a fighting chance against normal gaming systems. I think portable gaming systems are a thing of the past, now with phones being so technology like.