Potato Chips

Discussion in Food & Drink started by cocolgooh • Jul 9, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    Do you buy individual bags of potato chips (either individually or in a multipack) or larger bags that you can potion out yourself or share with others? I usually buy one larger bag and portion it out if I only want one flavour. This way I can make myself have smaller portions than I would if I had individual bags. My step father however, if given a large bag of potato chips will eat the entire bag in one sitting. If given smaller ones he'll have 3 or 4 of those instead of just one!

2. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    I always buy the big bags as i have a teen that never stops eating.

3. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    The big bags are much more economical and that's what I buy, I'm potato chip snob and only buy Lays. A big bag from Sams lasts all week for a household of 4.

4. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    I am with cluckeyo, we have a five-people household with three kids under 14. They love to munch on stuff. Therefore, getting one or two big bags of chips with two different flavors is enough for us.

5. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I get the big bags also. In terms of portion control, I think the small bags are really the way to go, because you are getting one set amount. The big bags it is easy to eat too much of the chips, and con yourself into thinking you are eating a small portion. I will count the chips to make sure I am not consuming too many, but when the chips are broken into pieces..that is not really feasible. I was thinking I might start weighing them.

6. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    The economics of potato chips are not soft on the bottomline in the long run if one would seek out an alternative. I usually compensate by seeking potatoes and cutting them into thin shreds and deep frying them to make a variant of thin chips. Another alternative is to use potato peels to make some snacks which would taste like potato crisps.

7. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Really? I would get swollen if I attempt to eat an entire large bag of potato chips. I usually buy Pringles stackable snack potato chips because I like the flavour, these are not the cheapest out there but hey, If I like it is worth my money.

8. shcoo

shcooMember

Threads:
    I rarely purchase potato chips for my home because I try to avoid snacking on junk foods. When I do purchase them, it is usually the tubes of Lays Stax because I like their portability and I can easily bring it to my desk at work without much noise. I agree with party-size bags being better for portioning however.

9. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love potato chips (or crisps, as we call them here) and could eat them all day, every day. However, I'm one of those people who would just balloon out to the size of my house if I did that. So crisps are some of the things I've decided to cut out of my diet. If I cave in to my cravings, I just go for the one bag I can have right there and then to ensure I don't have any lurking about in the cupboard, begging me to eat them LOL

10. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I buy the large family size bags of chips from Costco. They have a good variety of chips so we never get bored with the selections. I don't know if we end up eating more than we normally would. I know that I have a teenage boy that loves chips. So to buy the large bag makes sense. For the rest of the family I usually just put out the chips in bowls and everyone snacks, I don't think we end up eating more when I do it this way. Rather I'm saving myself money by buying the larger cheaper bags at Costco.

11. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy individual bags of chips. Multipacks don't look appealing or too practical for me since I'm only an occasional chip-eater and the rest of my family's really conscious with their diet lately. I do like small bags of chips, enough to fill me during hormonal changes and whenever I need something to munch on at work.

12. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Lol! Well I eat whatever I get in one sitting too. Thats the whole point. But, in terms of content, you get more for a lesser per unit price when you buy the bigger bag of chips. So it makes financial sense. This is why I always get my olive oil in as large a container as possible because per ounce/litre it costs less if I buy more.

13. JoshSmith

JoshSmithNew Member

Threads:
    I mostly buy the small packs of potato chips for I dont overeat. I work at home and alot of my entertainment is online so I could very easily munch down way too many chips just sitting here.

14. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's actually the nachos in big packs that I often buy although I occasionally buy a big pack of potato chips when we have a vacation trip to the province because the children in the family would only be satisfied when they are munching on something.

With the nachos, I would keep it in a jar and I would get some in a sandwich bag which I bring to the office for my snack. The nacho is more nutritious than the potato chips, according to our office nurse. And since the big pack of nachos is way much cheaper than buying small packs, that's my habit ever since.

15. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :pKnow what you mean, my Mom is 90 and she loves her chips too! She loves this new snack I found Iso Sunflower Seeds. She gobbles it all up by herself in just a few days! Back to chips...we love them at our home. I buy a big bag for my Mom loves to snack on them and so do I! I found a 16oz Signature wave chip for just 2.50 this Friday too, hooray!