Powdered Juice Drinks

Discussion in Food & Drink started by DrRipley • Aug 21, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Are there any other good powdered juice drinks out there besides Tang and Koolaid? My favorite has always been Tang and I love tasting the different flavors they offer but honestly it isn't as sweet as I'd like my juice drink to be and adding sugar somehow just isn't doing it for me. Koolaid is even more sour, or at least the ones I've tasted, so I'm hoping to get a few more suggestions from you guys, but feel free to discuss your favorite brands and flavors even if it's not what I'm looking for specifically. I will just pick out ones I find interesting among all the ones mentioned. Thanks!

2. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    After turning 30, I could no longer stomach Tang. It was the same with Bubblicious gum and Laffy Taffy.

The powdered fruit drink I consume the most of now is Crystal Light. Besides having a wide range of flavors, the store I shop at (Safeway) almost always has a sale on the quart sized version of this product. I can count on subtracting a $1 from the listed price.

Love this stuff!
    1113000353805_500X500.

3. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I've never actually seen a product like this. Perhaps it's because it's not available where I live. How exactly do they taste? When it says powdered I'm always under the impression that it uses artificial coloring and flavoring and not made from real fruits. Are they made from real fruits or they're just a powdered form of those cordial drinks? You know, the ones that are made of sugar and concentrated syrup.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Thanks for this, just the type of recommendation I've been looking for. I'm not very familiar with modern brands anymore because all we have here are the traditional and basic brands. Hopefully I'll see this in our shelves soon and if not I'm hoping it can be easily shipped.

I always thought Tang and Koolaid were available everywhere, but anyway I don't think you're missing out on that much since as you've already mentioned, they are most likely unhealthy anyway. They do taste good though and the best way I could describe it is that it tastes kind of like liquid version of hard candy.

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I'm not a huge fan of those because the ones like Crystal Light are filled with fake sweeteners.

Have you considered doing things like making your own tea or lemonade instead? Then you can control the sweetness yourself.

6. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Crystal Light was going to be my sugestion as well, absolutely love that stuff. Even though it's filled with the fake sweeteners, it's still heck of a lot better for you than most other juice drinks or sodas. Just like everything else though, something to drink in moderation.

Other examples that you can get are Powerade and Gatorade in powder form as well.

7. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    We only have powdered juice drinks only when we want variety in our drinks but is never a priority. We do tastes those new flavors that come out. We'd rather have fresh juice instead even if it is more expensive. As mentioned above, most powdered juices are full of artificial sweeteners which can cause cancer.

8. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I can't drink the powdered juices. They taste good, but they kill my stomach and make me have to run to the potty. Plus, they do weird things to my body in general, so I try to stay away from them. Too many chemicals and artificial sweeteners in my opinion.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do make my own sweet tea at home sometimes using tea bags and sugar or honey, and I agree that they taste great and fresh, but sometimes I crave for artificial flavors for some reason. It's sort of like drinking liquid candy, as I've mentioned in my previous post, and yeah I do feel kind of guilty whenever I do but I only drink it once in a while anyway so I try not to let it get to me too much.

10. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I like crystal light becasue it does not contain lots of sugar. I drink the powdered Gatorade now and its really good. We use it at the gyn cause it helps to cool down the body once you get an extreme workout. I recently tried this liquid called mio that comes in different flavors and I have to say it was really good.

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Nothing as really changed with Kool Aid as far as I know, you put your own sugar in there anyhow, so I don't see how you can say it's not as sweet as it once was. Unless perhaps if they started adding more citric acid to it or something. I haven't had Kool Aid in years, but the last few times I made it, I would actually use less sugar than what the packet called for because I didn't like how sweet it was. My taste palette has changed over the years as well, I cannot drink overly sweet beverages anymore - the taste just lingers in my mouth too long and it overpowers whatever food I am eating with it. Plus I don't find overly sweet things refreshing, they just make me even more thirsty for some reason.

For the past couple years now I've literally been drinking plain unsweetened tea that I brew myself.

12. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I'm also not a fan of powdered juices especially when it comes to fruit juices. The only powdered drink that I buy are iced tea but if I had the time I'd still go for the natural tea. :)

13. sharpayvargas1

sharpayvargas1Member

Threads:
    Here in Philippines, we have "Eight O'clock" that has almost of the same quality as "Tang". I drink only orange juice. And just like other's, I noticed that many have already switched from drinking orange juice to tea. They say it's about health benefits but I don't drink tea. I don't like the taste of it. Powdered juice most of time is used only during occasions such as birthdays.