Powdered Milk

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Theo • Nov 19, 2015.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you keep a tin or pack Handy in case you run out? My parents use it mainly to make cocoa or mix it in with porridge because it's more convenient and also cheaper.

I think it's a good idea as it lasts longer and also helps if you get snowed in or if the milk does go off.

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No worries since we don't have snow here. But we don't stock up on powdered milk. Our milk is the fresh milk in the carton, we buy about 5 of that so it will last until our next trip to the supermarket. We also have canned milk, both the evaporated and condensed milk for other purposes like in making fruit salad or homemade ice cream. As for being cheaper, I would agree but we never consider the cost when it comes to foodstuff.

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have used it from time to time. It is OK in recipes or like you said to make cocoa. I don't have any right now. I mean milk is cheap enough at the moment so I don't see the need to have it and use it actually. I think a Wendy's Frostie recipe requires powdered milk though. These are the things that might be useful to use powdered milk for, different recipes.

4. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I prefer fresh milk but I use it so infrequently that it's no longer practical to buy it so often, so I just use powerdered and it lasts a long time and I don't have to worry about it going sour.

I find it's a bit too sweet really, and as someone who doesn't take sugar in tea, that can be a problem.

5. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not a fan at all. I only ever use milk in tea and coffee but prefer the real stuff over the abomination that is powdered milk any time. A 4 pink container of milk lasts me all week and there's little chance of me not being able to buy any as there is a choice of 24 hour stores in my area.

6. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We had it when we were growing up, in addition to the regular milk. Most likely that was because we only had one vehicle, which my dad usually had for work. I'm sure it was more convenient to have the dried milk on hand than for my mom to try to bundle up the three of us to go to the store just for milk. Another reason was probably what you @Theo@Theo mentioned, the snow. I can recall having to bring a snow sled with us to the grocery shop on at least one occasion, so having something like this at home would definitely be preferable, although at the time, I found the sled fun to use, since I was a child.

I do keep some dried milk at home. I rarely buy milk, since I mainly use dairy for my coffee, and what I use in that is half and half. I had been just substituting half and half for the milk in recipes I was using, but that got very expensive, so I decided to try keeping the dried milk here for the rare occasions when I needed milk.