Practicality And Effectiveness Of Collecting Rain Water?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by NinetyEighty1 • Dec 26, 2017.

1. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    So, I realize that many individuals collect rainwater to try and save a bit of money on buying or using water in their own home. I would like to know how do you go about it, cleaning the rain water and properly using it in your home? How often do you collect the water and use it?

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When my Aunt was alive lived in the wetter part of Oahu, Nuuanu. She got a rain barrel to catch water which she fed to her garden of orchids mostly. Nuuanu is a wetter town on Oahu though and she always had water in it to feed her plants and lawn. Summer can be hot on island so I see my Aunt giving water to her green lawn too. I don't know where she got her wooden barrel which was in use when she was young and plentiful. My Aunt only used rain water for her plants.

3. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    when we visit our rural home, we always collect and use rain water. We never clean it or add any chemicals in it to kill bacteria. We drink it directly. My father told us that it is good for consumption. That was like 5 years ago. The place is all natural and I guess that is the reason most people trust rain water.

4. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We collect rainwater during the rainy season that we use for cleaning the floor. It is good for the mop. However, it is not easy to store rainwater since you need a big drum that has a cover otherwise the water will be a breeding ground for mosquitoes. We have only 1 big drum for that purpose that sometimes we also use for cleaning the car. It’s a good way of saving money on water but it is not that easy to collect and store rainwater.

5. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    We are far behind in use of rainwater which is almost necessary to save the world from acute shortage in near future. It may sound strange to people living in the areas where water is available aplenty but there are place where water level is going down constantly and if they do not go for water harvesting immediately the chances are they will face water shortage in very near future or their coming generation will walk miles to get drinking water.