Praise Is Just As Important As Complaints

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Lisa Davis • Jun 9, 2016.

1. Lisa Davis

Lisa DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I know I've written tons of letters and emails over my lifetime complaining about when I have received bad customer service at a store or restaurant. However, I have learned that praising a business when you have received exemplary service is just as important as when you are a dissatisfied customer. Especially when I deal with an employee that is great, I always make sure to let the business know that their employee has went above and beyond for one of their customers. Plus, good reviews often reflect well when these employees are up for raises, which means they are more likely to stay at the business and keep giving you good service. Also, there have been times that I have actually praised a restaurant and have been rewarded for it. Once, I sent a great review to a White Castle store when I had an excellent experience and they sent me a coupon for a free "Crave Case" (which is basically a big box of hamburgers). It pays to give feedback either way, even if it just means the business can improve upon your next experience with them.

2. acheno84

acheno84Member

Threads:
    This is very true. I am the kind that will call when someone does an above and beyond job for me. I may or may not call when I have an unpleasant visit only because that person could have had a bad day, and I don't know their struggle. There have been days when I've gone to work in the "I hate the world" mood and although I have tried hard not to be distasteful to anyone, it's happened.

Not even an hour ago, a coworker shared a quote with my team that reads "Be kind to the unkind; they need it the most."

How true is that?

3. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I think praise should be given where it is due. There are some people who go beyond the call of duty and those people should be made to feel appreciated. The same way we notice when there is bad service, we should also take note when there is exemplary service. Also, if those who are not giving good service come to realize that the ones who give good service are being recognized, they too may want to improve on the way they do things so that they too could get a good appraisal, and this would be an overall benefit to the company as a whole since there would be improvement in service all around.

4. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Oh certainly, and that is not just true when it comes to praising business, either. You are correct, though, and everyone likes to receive positive feedback, and for me personally it is way more motivating than any threat of negativity or anything like that. When someone tells me that I am doing a good job or that they are thankful or even smile and are just pleasant, it is so rewarding and it makes me want to work harder. I know that I cannot be alone there either.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I agree. I always try and leave my positive comments to companies whenever I can especially when I think it's probably one aspect that many might not notice or praise so I consider it up to me to speak up and give credit where it is due. For example one holiday season I was stressed and frustrated with how my purchases were getting delayed but I found that customer service was at least helpful so that put me at ease somewhat so I sent an email to the online shop telling them of my frustrations but at the same time I also took some space to mention how good the company they hired for customer service was.

6. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not that kind of person to go out of my way to complain but if the incident is really damaging then I would post on their website or email their office. When a travel agency mismanaged our accommodation in the provincial tour last year, I complained to the manager. I received a reply to my email expressing his apology and offering free accommodation to some other provinces that they have connections. That was last year. And maybe I can test their sincerity because we have a trip to Davao province in October and would ask them if they can provide us free accommodation there as a reparation of their mistake.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not many people will bother thanking a store for good service or writing a positive review so they can get more business. Good customer service is expected and when people don't get it or buy something they don't like that's when they'll take action. Everything else . . . they believe it's their right to get it. Customers always come first after all.

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh absolutely, I totally agree!! There are so many people out there who always seem to be on the look out for things to complain about and just wouldn't know good customer service if it hit them square in the face LOL Having been on both sides of the service provision process, I know how much acknowledging and praising good performance can really boost a member of staff's confidence and morale. If as a customer service assistant you've had a shift full of horrible customers and one comes along who's a breeze, it more than makes up for the ten or however many you handled prior to that!

9. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am certainly on to give praise. I mean, once I heard my neighbor playing the piano through his upstairs windows, and I felt that he was so talented that I had to go next door and tell them how much I enjoyed their playing. I am no different when it comes to shops. When it comes to online shopping though, I am more likely to leave a bad review unless the product I received was spectacular.

10. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do give a good review when I feel it is worth it. I also give a bad one if I feel it is merited. One time I found some tortilla chips that were generic, but I thought they were really good, so I wrote the company a brief letter complimenting the chips..but then it turned into a big deal, because they wanted the bag number, the date they were processed and all this information.!! Geez, who has time for all that? I didn't respond.

11. Famlieski

FamlieskiNew Member

Threads:
    I do agree with this, but sometimes it's hard to remember to contact the company/brand with the praise. For this reason, I will always act quickly so that I don't forget. It's easier when the place has a box for you to leave your comments, or a website where you can fill out a quick contact form. I know that when I worked in customer service on a till, that on one occasion someone asked to speak to my manager so that they could praise the service I had provided, and it really made my day and I even earned Employee of the Month that month which meant a bonus and some gifts. When companies know where their strengths lie, they will know which parts or people to nurture and reward. I was made to feel more valued by the management as they recognised that I was performing well and rewarded me, and thus continued to work there for longer than I might have done and provided that good service to more people.

12. cyclistbabe

cyclistbabeNew Member

Threads:
    Love this. I have to stop myself sometimes when reading reviews and try to place as much value in the positive reviews as the negatives ones. It's strange how one negative comment can make you apprehensive to buy a product when so many other people enjoy it.

Reminds me of something my old teacher once told me, "You can give someone 50 compliments and they won't remember it by next week, but if you tell them you think their shirt is ugly they will never wear that shirt again."

13. DiscountDreams

DiscountDreamsActive Member

Threads:
    Praise is so important....dig into someone long enough and you leave a hole in them, if you just praise them a little bit, you lift them out of the hole other people dug for them. Gotta remember that people behave differently depending on how they feel about themselves.

14. Caffe

CaffeNew Member

Threads:
    It does my heart good to know I'm not the only who takes the extra step to praise a truly outstanding employee.

I have been stunned again and again over the past few years by the (real-life) reactions of cashiers and other clerks when something has gone wrong with my sale or service order: Most practically beat themselves silly with mea culpas, no matter how politely I have presented the problem.

I have said, more times than I can recall, words to the effect of: "It's not that big a deal -- it's not like I'm going to sue you or anything!" -- accompanied by a laugh, and then, at the first sign of the clerk's relief, I also say: "Are most customers really such (expletive deleted)?"

The honest ones will say yes -- most customers really are such (expletive deleted), who take out their frustrations on the minimum-wage workers who didn't cause the problem in the first place, and who can do only so much to fix the problem. And then they will practically fall to their knees in appreciation that I wasn't one of those (expletive deleted)s.

I am no saint (not by a long shot), but I have always recognized that there is a human behind being the counter -- or on the other end of the phone, or receiving that email -- and I have always done my best to treat that human being as I want to be treated.

And while I never hesitate to complain about truly bad service, I always do my best to reward truly outstanding service; I always note (or ask) the name of the person who has helped me, and ask where I may send a note of appreciation.

I don't think this makes me a good person, or a better person. I think this is simply something I should do -- something I think everyone should do.

If we don't... Well, then, why should we expect praise when we do our very best to do our own jobs?

And, if nothing else, what motivation is there, for the people who wait on us, to do their very best?

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never tried going out of my way to praise a company, but now I think that it's not a bad thing to do. I can't remember the last time I complained about a purchase, but I sometimes complain about a telecommunications company's services. Sometimes it gets resolved, sometimes it doesn't.

16. ThesePretzels

ThesePretzelsMember

Threads:
    It's just so natural to complain about a poor experience, and it takes a bit of work on our end to praise the establishment or worker who does an exemplary job. It is sad how how poorly retail employees are often treated, I make a point to always thank helpful employees, but perhaps more is in order.

17. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I tend to agree. We're very spoiled as a nation and have gotten ruder and ruder over the years. We expect everything to be perfect and let it be known when a business it's providing what we expect. This has lead to customers being very rude to people who are just trying to make a living and are doing their best in most cases. It's unrealistic to expect perfection. We should do more to let people and companies know they are doing a good job.

18. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I receive good service I do leave a good comment to the management. I have had servers at restaurants give very good service which they received a good tip and a compliment to the management also.

19. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not only is praise and complaints or help is good to ask a company about, ask companies about new products you need or want too and they will appreciate it too. Many things like Rigident, adhesive for dentures and partials went off the market and Holdtite is it's replacement. Many of us like it, but it comes from Australia and the shipping is astronomical! I asked 2 drug stores if they could bring it in for us...still pending request. I like Bisquick's Heart Smart, but the box of 40 oz. is too big for my little family, so this is the next request I'll make. I do both, in a nice way so as not to get the person in trouble for we are all human.

20. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think companies don't even expect you to praise them or thank them anymore. If nobody is complaining, it means they are doing it Right. At least where I live usually there are far more complaints. Which I don't think is OK, a positive approach is always a good thing. However I think it's what the companies expect nowadays.