Prefer smaller or larger dogs?

Discussion in Pets started by Mayvin • Jun 21, 2014.

1. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I "petsat" for a neighbor once and the dog was so tiny and I was a bit nervous to let him run around The House because I was afraid he would crawl under something and get stuck or easily get hurt if I wasn't eyeballing him every second. I mean this dog was maybe 5 or 10 pounds full grown the size of a few week old puppy. But was thinking how much easier he would be to deal with in terms of traveling. My dogs (who are only about 50 pounds each) can be a bit of a hassle when it comes having to go out of town, and with a small dog like that they would be so much easier to just take with you. Which size dog do you prefer? Small, medium or large?

2. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I'm very scared with a big dog :D my first thought whenever I see them is they are dangerous and scary even though it is not always true :D I had a bad experience with big dog when I was a kid.

So, I prefer smaller dogs, tiny and light.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like small dogs because they are cute. But because I live in a place where animals can walk into your compound at night, to be warned when that happens I need to have big guard dogs that scare away the unwanted guest. That's why I keep both huge and small dogs.

The big dogs are free to roam around the compound as they please and keep away wild animals while the smaller ones stay in the house with me.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like large dogs, it means more food, more expenses. But then again, I'm not really fond of dogs in general anyway. I prefer cats. I noticed though that we have had mostly medium sized dogs like Labradors, and we never really had a large dog. Right now we own a small dog, a Jack Russell Terrier.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm not a big fan of dogs, but I don't hate them either, and if I had to choose, I'd maybe pick the larger ones just because I find them much nicer to pet and play around with. However, the trouble I've found with big dogs is when visitors come by and the dogs want to play with the visitors, in which case, they are usually overwhelmed with the size and the amount of fur and other particles left behind is also often much more "catastrophic". I myself have become somewhat of a victim in some of my friends households that have a big dog because they like to rub up against the new people but I'm not always up for getting myself dirtied up, although they are fun to play with.

6. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not into big dogs. The main reason is you can't pick them up so that makes them less cuddly. Also they tend to have more strength so the dog would be walking me. I have heard that big dogs are gentle giants tho but I just don't find them cute. They're just not for me.

7. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I like dogs that are about 8-15 pounds. I think large dogs are nice but I live in a big city and I don't think it's fair to have a large dog that probably needs a lot of exercise cooped up.

8. Judijune

JudijuneNew Member

Threads:
    I have had big (Doberman), medium (Australian Shepard), and at present, have a chihuahua. I liked the Dobie because I felt safe on walks, but he got too large to go with me in the car. The Chi is really shy and wants to go everywhere I go....it's like having another child. The medium dog was more of a neighborhood dog...back when dogs were allowed to roam. I didn't get that attached to him, but my hubby liked to take him to work with him. I'm rambling on...thanks for reading.

9. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    Our current dog, who is living with my parents in law is about 60 lbs and is a mix of Akita/Boxer/Sheltie/Pitbull, and is quite possibly the best dog ever. He is sweet, loving and loyal...but he is 11 years old, and even the best of his breeds only last about 2 more years. The biggest problem we've had with him is knee and hip related, which is a big problem with large dogs.

Our plan is, once he passes to purchase a smaller dog, likely a Dauchshund so that we don't have as much of a walking responsibility.

10. unstrung

unstrungMember

Threads:
    One of each, please!

My girlfriend and I have a tiny little chihuahua at the moment. When I say tiny, I mean 3 pounds, other chihuahuas tower over her - our last vet bill was $180, and after we left, I held up our dog and said "hey, honey, you just paid $60 per pound for this thing!!" She was not amused.

But, I was visiting a friend this past weekend, and they have recently acquired a giant, doofy Saint Bernard who is simply fantastic, and now I would like very much to have one of those as well. I love all dogs, but for some reason, the idea of having one from each end of the size spectrum is particularly appealing. It may or may not be because I want to fit the larger one with a saddle and have the smaller one ride it around my living room while dressed in a tiny cowboy outfit...

11. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    I like a happy medium dog. :) I prefer dogs that will not get to be more than 40-45 pounds. I'm a pretty small person, so I don't think that I would be able to handle a large dog. On the other hand, small dogs seem to be more fragile, and I'd be terrified of hurting it or of it being attacked by a larger dog.

12. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like both, big and small dogs. And every size in between. For me it all depends on the training a dog has received. If a dog is well trained, it doesn't matter what size it is, you will always be able to manage it well.
    In the past I have had German Shepherds, Greyhounds and Australian cattle dogs.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm a cat person, but I have a small dog because I took him in when my mother in law went senile and couldn't take care of him anymore.
    I like my small dog because he is the perfect size to sit on my lap when I watch TV and he doesn't take up much room in my bed either. Big dogs tend to be bed hogs and take up the whole couch too. I guess now I'm a cat AND small dog person.

14. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a cat, but I definite like medium sized dogs. I have nothing against small or really large dogs, either, though. It's just that medium dogs can't get into all the areas a small dog can to wreak havoc. Likewise, their size doesn't cause them to wreak even more havoc like a larger dog. Medium sized dogs really are a comfortable medium and they're just as enthusiastic and intelligent as other sized dogs. I'd love to have a boxer, corgi, or a similar dog.

15. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I've always owned smaller dogs, I think the heaviest one I ever owned was only about 20lbs. The two dogs I have currently are still puppies and they're chihuahua's, so they're not going to get very big. I like bigger dogs but the home I live in now really wouldn't allow much play room for a larger breed and I wouldn't want to keep it outside all the time, so for now, I'm just going to continue to have small fur babies :)