Preschool apps

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by Mama2three • Aug 26, 2012.

1. Mama2three

Mama2threeMember

Threads:
    I have a 5 year old, a 3 year old, and a 2 month old. I am always on the lookout for new apps for my children. What are some good ones. I pfer something educational, but entertaining apps are okay, too. I have Apple products, so share your favorite apps from the App Store.

2. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    I am always on the lookout for free educational apps too. I'll have to check my kids iPad but for now I will say a great free one for young children is:

"Little Writer - the Tracing App for Kids"
    It includes upper and lower case letters, numbers, shapes and words. How it works is a letter will come up on the screen, and little pineapples will pop up one by one, showing which way the correct writing would go. Then there is a crab, you put your finger on the screen to trace the letter, and the crab will eat up the pineapples as you go over them. So basically it teaches the correct way a letter is written.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the App Store, you can actually find a bunch of learning apps that are available for virtually all grade levels. You could download arithmetic-based games, or ones that help improve English and reading comprehension skills. I use Android, but I know for a fact that there are thousands of those types of apps through Apple's App Store, too.

4. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    Another great free one is:

"Telling Time Quiz - Fun Game to Learn how to Tell Time"
    This game is amazing. I briefly explained to my just turned 4 year old about the hour hand and minute hand. With only a few tries he had it down and can now tell time for the hour and thirties, such as 1:00 and 1:30.
    The game quizzes you, it say a time out loud, for example 2:00, then four clock faces appear and you have to press the correct one. With each correct answer the next question get harder in that more clock faces are presented. It is a race get through all the questions before the time runs out. My 4 year old loves it, it is like a game to him, not at all a learning app. I am so amazed it really has taught him some basics in telling time.