Prevention or reaction?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Gelsemium • Mar 11, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What's your attitude facing health and diseases, do you do anything to prevent the diseases to come or you just take medicines when you're sick?

2. costin

costinActive Member

Threads:
    I think I tend to prevent diseases, at least the common ones such as flu or insomnia.
    My reliable helpers are teas, all kind of teas: lavender for insomnia, lemon and honey for flu, chamomile for headaches and so on. I never enjoyed to cram my body with pills, I believe our immune system has to fight, if it`s unable, then antibiotics and other pills should enter the arena

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I believe in prevention. I eat good food, tea, rest and wash my hands to help me stay well.

4. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    Prevention is better than cure as a lot would say it. Better to avoid being sick than to feel sick and cure it. I wouldn't want to suffer so I'll always go for prevention before something bad happens unless it's something I have no control over.

5. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I agree daimashin, but the thing is that our culture doesn't teach prevention. The give us medicines to cure our illnesses, but they don't tell us how to avoid being sick or how to make our immune system stronger, it's almost as if they wanted us to be sick!

6. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    I believe in, and practice both. You can't rely solely on prevention because things happen in life, and sometimes there is nothing you can do to prevent that. You have to have both values to truly give yourself the best chance at staying healthy.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It has been said that "prevention is better than cure", but I don't really think much of it because I have no vices and I'm not really sickly, so I tend to just take medicines when I'm already sick.

8. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Sidney, I believe you must be an healthy person and I am glad for it. I have no vices either, but I do have some health conditions and that is why I think we need to work not only on prevention, but also in strengthening our immune system so that it resists better to the attack of diseases.

9. Jennyflower81

Jennyflower81New Member

Threads:
    Prevention will save you money and keep you healthier, in the long run. By keeping the body in its best shape, and giving it necessary nutrients, you will have optimum health. It is a simple concept. Every time I consume something, I consider whether it will help me or hurt me. I'd say I follow an 80/20 rule with food. 80% healthy, wholesome, real food along with 20% "treat myself" style food. But, even treat food can be made with healthy ingredients, because it is best to make your own food from scratch. Avoid anything with toxic chemicals added, including beauty products and household cleaners. Avoid preservatives, fake sweeteners and corn syrup, no soy, little or no gluten and dairy, and less canned food. Always focus on shopping the perimeter of the market because the junk food is in the middle. I supplement with non-synthetic vitamins and avoid alcohol. I try my best to get sleep, stay thin, and get some exercise. I get outside, enjoy time with friends, and focus on the things I love- a good attitude goes a long way! I also think these methods keep you looking young. If I do get sick, I take a natural approach to healing myself, which includes home remedies and lots of rest.

10. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Great post Jenny, you are so right! But to do all those things you say you need to have great knowledge on health no? Or at least on foods?

I think that governments should teach the population how to live healthy and give tax benefits to those buying healthy foods and working out.

11. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Prevention obviously. But when sickness happens, and it will, reaction. It's a pity not to prevent health issues especially in these times when good treatments and check up methods are available at all times. Furthermore, it's wise to always prevent and visit the doctor even if you're healthy since some diseases make themselves heard when it's already too late.

Just eat healthy, exercise and read a good book from time to time :D

12. pahagwl

pahagwlActive Member

Threads:
    There is an age old saying that prevention is always better then cure. And this statement is of great relevance even today. We can see its relevance from the fact that curing a disease is a lot more difficult from preventing it. Its relevance is also highlighted by the fact that governments all over the world take active measure to educate the masses about how to take preventive actions against certain diseases.

13. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Governments take active measures to educate us to take preventive measures against certain diseases, but in some very limited cases only, because a general education for health is something that does not exist to my amaze...

14. astockd1

astockd1Member

Threads:
    I'm a Pre-Health student and I'll be starting a Master's in Public Health in the fall of this year. It's absolutely better to work towards preventing diseases, but this mostly involves not doing certain things, such as eating awful fast food and smoking. Obviously not everything can be prevented, but those who exercise, get vaccines, eat healthy, etc are much less likely to get sick. In addition, treating known illnesses effectively is very important, because sometimes when things get worse, they cause even more problems. I eat as many fruits and veggies as I can (though it could always be better), take vitamins, get enough sleep, do yoga, maintain good hygiene, get outside for awhile every day, wear sunscreen, etc. The little things can help a lot!

15. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    I think, unfortunately, there are certain conditions that are near impossible to prepare yourself for to a degree. I do believe that it is imperative that we all do our part to maintain as good of health as possible. A great example of this, would be Angelina Jolie and how she went through with the double mastectomy surgery. I thought that was an extremely brave thing to do, and to do it publicly adds an element for sure. So I guess the best answer to this would be a healthy balance between prevention and reaction.

16. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    It's always best to prevent diseases to save up on medical bills and medications in the future.

The best way to prevent any diseases is to take in proper nutrition daily. Health should be one of your top priorities, but it's always best to prevent it rather than pay a whole lot of cash in the future in order to get rid of those diseases.

My family and I are living healthy lives. Not only do we not get sick, we also have more energetic and active lives.

17. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I take good care of my health by buying natural food and trying to live as stress-free as possible. I also take supplements all years round and drink a variety of medicinal herbal teas. Additionally, I also practise yoga and meditation. I believe that prevention is the solution to many problems. But a lot of people don't know how to look after themselves properly. I think informing yourself about what exactly you put into your body, and examining your general life style, will point you into the right direction to and help you make necessary adjustments to prevent future disasters.

18. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Really interesting post Dora. If you don't mind sharing, what supplements do you take all year long and with what purposes? I know that food doesn't bring us the vitamins that our body needs for it's correct functioning, but at the same time I fear taking pills and supplements all the time...

19. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I unfortunately will usually deal with the reaction part, rarely prevention. I don't take flu shots, never, even when there was the swine flu, I don't eat fruits, only vegetables. I would like to be more proactive and take preventive measures, but it's not how it currently works for me. That being said, I will usually do blood exams and stuff like that every year, so on that aspect I'm preventive.

20. Gelsemium

Threads:
    The most shocking of everything you wrote, for me, was the fact that you don't eat fruits. You don't eat them at all?

I don't see don't taking shots as something negative, I don't believe in shots, I think they are more harmful than positive really, what's the point in putting diseases inside our body?