Price Difference When Shopping Online.

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by pwarbi • Oct 10, 2016.

1. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes to anything but especially fashion, I've noticed that there are massive price differences between online stores and I just wondered why people thought that is? I was recently shopping around for a pair of Adidas trainers, and after looking around on the high street at the big name retailers, I thought I'd have a look online to compare the prices. Now as I'm sure we are all well are, there are millions of different sites around these days all pretty much selling the same items, but I noticed there was a huge price difference and I couldn't (and still can't) work out exactly why.

Looking around I was quoted everything from $100, all the way down to $55 for exactly the same product and it just made me wonder why that is, and why some sites are able to offer such massive discounts when others can't? Furthermore, how do the sites that are selling the products at the higher prices actually manage to stay in business in the first place? Maybe people are just willing to pay the first price they come across and stick to the same sites without shopping around, that's the only reason I can think that somebody would pay $100 for something they can get for half that amount somewhere else.

2. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I also noticed that in the case of electronic gadgets. When you open a window to know the particulars about a product you can see a link showing other cheap offers that give you a considerable rebate on the same item. But I wonder if there is any compromise on the quality of the product or not. There are reports that in some cases buyer ends up receiving low quality or second-hand products. They buy it fascinated by the high level of discount it offers and end up owning inferior quality products.

But sometimes online shopping sites have festival shopping seasons when we can buy products at a lot more cheap rates. I could buy many genuine products at cheap rates during their shopping festivals. But that lasts only for a few days or weeks. I think during those times it would not affect them financially as they would be able to sell huge quantity of goods.

3. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Online sites follow the most liberal free market policy where there are no cartels. You are free to price your products as you deem fit. It takes a keen potential customer to spot the variance in prices. Most marketers merely pick off the products from other sites and pass them off as their own meaning higher prices. The same rules of windowshopping apply here.

4. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    Yes there's really a big difference of prices among different online shops, especially the local store. Whenever I want to buy something in particular, I always go look almost everywhere to compare prices, then definitely I'll get the cheapest one.

Probably the reason why some items are more inexpensive than the others is because they can get it right directly to the source or they have fewer middle man's to pay that's why they can sell items for a lower price and still can manage accordingly to the global market. Unlike when we buy to a local store, it's more expensive in light of the fact that they pay several fees and rents, have employees to pay, taxes and a lot more unlike when you're running an online shop, it's more cheaper than having a physical store.

5. Carrierbags4sale

Carrierbags4saleNew Member

Threads:
    Always utilize a comparison shopping website. Whether you are searching for mobile, electronic products, clothing, or housewares, you can see and compare items from a range of stores ensuring you get the cheapest prices for the best products. Some of these websites even give customers the capability to view seller profiles of both independent and individual sellers. You'll be able to consider how these suppliers treat the customers and what alternatives are available to you through that seller.

6. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    It's no wonder that price comparison sites and sites and forums such as this are becoming ever more popular when you look at the amount of shopping websites and the range of prices items are being offered at. While some people might be able to afford to pay the first price they see for an item they want, a lot of people aren't in that fortunate position so we rely on the comparison sites to do the work for us.

Another thing that the price comparison sites do is stir up competition between the sellers as well, as none of them want to be the most expensive on there. Having said that I'm sure that there are some products that pride themselves on being more expensive than others but if you can afford to buy those items then you aren't going to be too concerned about the price in the first place anyway.

7. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Let me cite the garden hose which I have a lot of experience. The original and authentic blue garden hose costs 2,000 pesos. That's around $40. The imitation is sold for 300 pesos which is just slightly more than 10% of the original. But the quality is definitely in question because the cheap imitation doesn't last for long.

8. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    Online stores do not have to pay the establishment cost which is huge, especially in the cities. Moreover, the warehousing cost is also less for the online stores. Apart from these facts, I guess, to sustain in the competitive market... e-stores keep less profit margin compared to the offline stores.

9. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    We had a similar experience when shopping for shoes for my husband. First of all, we had a really hard time finding any decent shoes. So many of them are made very cheaply, yet the prices just keep going up.

So, after trying on every shoe his size in 3 stores, he gave up. We went home and started looking online. He ended up finding a good deal at Zappo's, I think it was.

They were decent shoes at a much lower price. I don't recall what the shipping charges amounted to (or if there were any), but either way, in total it cost less than the shoe store prices. He's pleased with the shoes too.

I know there's overhead and all that to consider for brick and mortar stores, but we're talking big differences here.

10. luisalex96

luisalex96Member

Threads:
    At this moment, online stores are attempting to assemble business and offering merchandise infrequently at costs lower than the rates at which they are procuring the items.

The thought is to acuire client at any cost and give him a desire for purchasing items from home on the preface that the web based shopping store will charge increasingly when the client turns into an incessant store.

11. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    If we're talking about shoes, then there could be 2 reasons for that: Either the item is already an old model and they're disposing of their old stock, so they mark down their prices. Or the item is fake, that's why the price difference is huge. I was almost tempted to buy a micro SD card because the price was quite low compared to other stores, but I read the reviews of that online store, and they sell fake products. So if the price is too low than the rest of the other stores, then be suspicious!

12. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I recently purchased a 4G wingle from Amazon for $55 (approx) and it is a genuine product which is really good. There was no issue in product delivery and performance of the product. I did a lot of research before finalizing a shopping site for this purchase. I was surprised to see that the same product was priced at $70 in eBay without any difference in the features. I wonder why they sell it at such a high price compared to Amazon offer.

Sometimes you may end up buying duplicate products, but in this case it is a genuine product from Huawei.

13. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    In my opinion online prices are low because there are no middle men in between. It is direct from the factory/ brand outlet. Therefore the price variations. Yes, some sites do sell off duplicate products. You need to check that out. Usually online sites with a good name will not sell duplicate stuff. You can rely on them.