Price Haggling In Flea Markets

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Corzhens • Jun 13, 2016.

1. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I learned this trick from my sister. When you are in the flea market, roam around to check for the price tags of what you intend to buy. I go to the Sunday market once in a while where they sell quality food items like seafood, meat, fruits and vegetables. Say a lettuce has a tag price of $1 per kilo everywhere, don't dare to haggle because it is a fixed price. But when there is a difference like 99 cents and 95 is the lowest in other stalls, try to haggle at 90 and you may be lucky to get it for 92 or 93 that is definitely cheaper than the $1.

That also goes for other items like clothing items and footwear. I have even tried to haggle the price of a power bank (portable charger of the phone) and I was successful in getting a good bargain. But you need patience for that since you have to check on the prices of the other stalls selling the same items.

2. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    I am so bad at haggling! I don't like confrontation and I don't like to negotiate prices. I want to see the price, and I'll either take it or leave it. I do know that it is an important skill to develop. But it's hard for me to do it. I guess if I were to go somewhere like a flea market on a regular basis, I would probably develop a knack for it.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well if you're in a flea market then it's really acceptable to haggle, but I haven't really done it yet, since whenever I buy pirated CD's, they all seem to say that the price is really fixed already, so I just pay the regular price.

4. DiscountDreams

DiscountDreamsActive Member

Threads:
    We have a swap meet here and prices are pretty much never fixed. You can tell someone you'll pay $200 for a $1000 water fountain and they might say yes on the spot, but you never know. It's such a strange place lol, I'd say the location of it but I don't wanna :)

5. Lisa Davis

Lisa DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I love to haggle. It is definitely an art and definitely something you need to practice. The best advice I can give you is to strike up a friendly conversation with any and every merchant you come into contact with, particularly those that you want to purchase something from. Most people decide in their own minds whether or not they get a good feeling about you or like you within the first few minutes of meeting you. People that you make a good impression on are more likely to give you a better deal when you haggle with them because they already feel they have a connection with you.

6. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    I've witnessed a friend haggle for a pair of slippers and won. She was able to get the pair for 50% off because the saleslady was so embarrassed at the scene and totally gave up when my friend almost shamelessly haggled, lol! The people were watching them like a basketball game. Her persistence was admirable though. I asked her why she didn't transfer to another stall. She said all the prices are the same and she got a tip that the items are actually overpriced and were set an amount that people would normally go against so they will haggle and lower it to the actual price.

7. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've seen shows on this subject. They tell you that the prices are usually set with some "wiggle room" because they do expect people to haggle or try to get a bargain.

Usually, the best way to secure a better deal is to 'bundle.' If you set aside several items and then offer a flat fee (that is of course lower than the total of the prices for the items individually), you have a decent chance of striking a deal.

It's best to try not to insult the seller though. I've seen people offer ridiculously low prices and insult the person's goods. I don't see that as being a good tactic.

8. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    My husband is from Morocco and there it is quite common to negotiate prices, especially, at a flea market.
    In many North African and Middle Eastern countries this is the case.
    I am really bad at it. I have tried it once in the UAE. It just did not work because I was not that consistent about it, I guess.
    You have to be very consistent and have enough arguments ready.
    I would love to learn how to do it better though but I guess if I really need to then I can always send my husband to do it for me because he can do it better than me lol.

9. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Na. I don' have the patiente and dispotition to haggle. And even less with those salesmen with their stingy mean looks. Although sometimes when I ask for the price of a product and put it down afterwards, the seller tries to convince me in buying it for a lesser price. Feels good when hey are doing the haggling instead.