Price Surge Of Vegetables

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Alexandoy • Jan 13, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our vegetable province is The Mountain Province with its cool weather that is conducive to planting high value vegetables like lettuce, cauliflower and broccoli. But right now, that place is suffering from extreme weather conditions that temperatures falling below 10 degrees centigrade is causing frost. Well, frosted vegetables will surely die or be ruined since the leaves are burned by the frost. And that will create a shortage of supply and eventually pump up prices. This condition occurs every January until the early part of February. And during these times, we refrain from buying such vetables and we are trying to be content with native vegetables that are not affected like string beans, okra and local spinach.

2. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    In our country too farmers are really suffering due to extreme weather conditions and unexpected natural calamities like flood. But nowadays there is a trend towards hi-tech farming which is also called protected farming. Vegetables are grown in closed sheds and they are free from any adverse effects of climatic changes. Moreover, it has facilities to spray water and drip irrigation. There is no threat of pests too so we can avoid using poisonous pesticides. Liquid fertilizers are given to the plants through drip irrigation system.

It is becoming a huge success and a lot of young men are coming in this field. It can give you high returns within a short period of time. Our Government also gives subsidies for setting up hi-tech farming project.

3. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    In this case I feel fortunate to live where the weather does not get as cold. This is good for those who grow thier own fruits and vegetables to sell, this way they won't lose any profit. Most fruits and vegetables here are available year round since there are local farmers who grow their fruits and vegetables and sell them in almost every corner of the city.

4. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    In the US, organic vegetables have high prices due to the extra effort needed to produce them. However, a lot of people concerned about their health will pay it. Definitely though, the organic movement is a boost to small farmers who otherwise are driven out by huge factory farms. Anyhow, actually, non-organic food should be banned anyway, as the pesticides used are very sick stuff.

5. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    True, the kind of cold weather we are having in our area with a temperature range of -2 to15 degree C is causing harm to different agricultural produce including vegetables. The price would have gone out of reach of common people but this year the situation was different. Due to demonetization in our country the prices of vegetables had gone so low down that a little bit of increase in vegetable price is not making any big difference for the time being. The weather will remain the same for next one month or so before the things will change a bit.

6. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Fortunately the prices of vegetables this time hasn't touched the sky. However, it us not new to find that market prices fluctuating greatly.

During such times, we stock in most vegetables from a nearby village until the prices stabilises.

7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Indeed weather does affect our prices here on Oahu, Hawaii. One year asparagus was at 1.99 a pound. The next year it went to 3.99 a pound when in season. Now it's 4.99 so in about 3 years our fresh asparagus shot up so much I can't afford it now. I like asparagus spears so when I found frozen ones at a fraction of what fresh ones were I bought it. To my dismay frozen is not as good as fresh and neither is the can asparagus isn't as good as fresh. Canned or frozen is all I can afford so it will have to suffice until fresh asparagus prices come down. Luckily though when good weather and constant light rain happens prices go down for vegetables.

8. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well this is certainly frustrating when it happens. Now that I think about it, I would say that it happens more with fruits than veggies where I am, but I am sure those things vary. Either way, though, very frustrating, but what can you do.

9. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:

Pretty much everything is expensive in Hawaii from the food to the apartments to fuel is massively more expensive than in the mainland US. However, that should be expected as the land supply is limited. However, to save money the limited land area means that you can often reach more places on foot or bicycle. Nonetheless, I can testify from when I lived on Saipan, a commonwealth in the Pacific, that lack of an automobile does make things a little bit tough. Plus, people think people with no vehicles are something to be pitied.

Anyhow, I'm sure there is a bus system in Hawaii, but one can note that Saipan, at least in 2002, did not have one, only expensive taxis.

10. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    That is the effect of the law of supply and demand. When the supply is scarce of commodities, the price become high. When the supply is great, the price is low. What we can do then to combat this effect? We have to resort of a survival means and the people couldn't do it alone. The government should intervene with it. It would take a long range planning for the people to survive. It is a serious matter.

11. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    The surge of price in basic food items is indeed a pinch to the pocket.

We feel the same here in unlikely climate conditions. Generally, winter is a good time for us to avail variety of veggies in cheaper price. However, the consumption goes up and down according to availability.