Print Your Own Toys At Home?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Denis Hard • Feb 17, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I learned yesterday that there's a 3D printer which costs $300 that kids can use to print all their toys [any they can dream of] at home. While yes, it certainly is a little expensive fact is if you'll buying toys that cost over $300 [for your kids, your friends kids, your young relatives and others] this toy printer could save you a lot of money.

What do you guys think? Would buying this 3D printer be worth it?

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is actually quite cheap for a 3d printer, I think. I would have thought that they would have been much more expensive than that, especially when you start thinking about those 3d printers that print organs and body parts out of real human cells. That could and would revolutionize the medical field and more people would be able to go on living. As far as currently, my mom prints off images for the kids with our 2d printer, and they make masks out of them.

3. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can print coloring pages and games and things with a regular printer as well. A 3-D printer would be very cool though. I'd definitely get my money's worth out of it (I especially would have when my kids were little, since I have four kids). Even now, I'd make a lot of stuff for the grandkids, friend's kids, nieces, nephews, etc. I'd have a blast at Christmastime making toys to donate to the angel trees and stuff.

Well, I'd like to do all that, but I guess first we need to find out how much the materials for making all this stuff would cost.

Still, a very cool idea.

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree. Regular 2d printers have their own potential, albeit confined to paper and or cardboard - if cardboard is able to be printed on, I am not sure. The material for making things out of 3d printing is plastic. I watched a short video on it and how it all worked. And it is not that expensive to own a machine either.

5. Tina122321

Tina122321Member

Threads:
    I don't see how this would save you much money. Any expensive toys are probably not going to be able to be made with just a 3d printer. Most toys that are expensive are electronic. I can't think of very many toys that my kids have that are just plastic. Maybe when they were younger they had plastic toys but they were cheap toys as well. The cost of the supplies, the time needed to figure out how to use it, and the limited toys it could produce seem like it would cost you a lot more money than it would save.

On the other hand, if you use it to make a new toy that you can sell, that would make you a lot of money and it would be worth it.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think I'd buy it. The kids in my family aren't that much interested in making toys as much as just buying and playing them. Also at that price I think I'd be willing to just pay a bit more and just buy myself an actual 3d printer instead, since they could just use that with my guidance if they were really interested. I think it's a neat idea though and I'm sure lots of parents out there will get a good kick out of it.