Pro Life Tip: If You Require Medical Equipment

Discussion in Utilities started by Gena • May 13, 2016.

1. Gena

GenaMember

Threads:
    Many people don't know this, but if you require and rely on medical equipment that needs to be plugged in and the electricity is in your name, you can petition to make it so even if you're late on your bill or can't pay, they will not and cannot legally cut off your power.

2. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    This is a good tip worth noting. Most people don't know their rights. The problem is whether this law is universal or applicable only in select jurisdictions. Another problem is the fact that some laws are quite okay but the challenge lies in their application or implementation. The best thing to do is to negotiate for a waiver or to be charged preferential rates. A working relationship based on mutual understanding is the best approach.

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a friend who lives in the Midwest, and I know up there, they had something similar in place over the Winter months, so that the heating wasn't able to be disconnected for adverse reasons. The homeowner or lessee could of course terminate service if s/he so chose, but the heating provider wasn't able to, since their Winters tend to be so severe that it could prove deadly to have no heat source. We don't have that type of protection down there in the South, and where I live many low income people don't have central heat, and use space heaters in the Winter. As a result, there's usually at least one report of deaths from fires when the older or less expensive models tip over during the night and cause a house fire.

I do believe we have something down here where the electricity can't be disconnected if a resident has a documented need for electric powered life saving medical equipment such as an oxygen unit. I think in that case, those areas where people with such documented needs live are the top priorities for restoration of service after a power outage.

4. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    A great tip. And probably the electricity supply companies have already taken fool proof measures to prevent scammers take advantages from it. Is that simple to just show a legit receipt or a call to your insurance or social security to verify if you really are in need of special medical equipment.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is something new to me. I know the United States has a different set of laws from my own country but I have a feeling our lawmakers have already taken this matter into consideration. Even private electricity providers are not spared from this legislation, right? If so, then that's really good news and something everyone must take note of for future considerations.