Proactive Solution For Acne

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Jasmine2015 • Oct 12, 2015.

1. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    Many years ago, I had proactiv for my skin. It burned my skin so I vowed to never use it again. I have seen the new commercials and now they offer a face brush for the pores. Don't you just love how you order something and then once you stop ordering they come out with these goodies? I wanted to know if anyone has had the experience I have had.

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've heard nothing but bad experiences about that company and their products - I would personally avoid them at all costs. Even some of their former spokespersons such as "P. Diddy" have sued them since their products didn't work as advertised on him, and it made him look like an idiot for promoting them. There were also people complaining that their products purposefully are harsh on your skin, and in turn force you into an endless cycle of using them over and over, otherwise your breakouts will come back even worse.

Their billing department is also a nightmare, if you make the mistake of ordering their stuff online or over the phone (I've seen them for sale at mall kiosks too). The web site Jezebel did a big expose on them a few years ago, where some of their former phone salespeople admitted that they were pressured into preventing their customers from cancelling their automatically recurring orders, and in some cases simply would not cancel them at all even though the customer requested them to do so. They would just let the next phone operator get yelled at when the customer called back.

3. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    Proactive didn't hurt my skin, but I found that it didn't work any better than anything else that you can get OTC with salicylic acid. I never actually paid for it though. I moved into two different houses in college where the roommates who moved out had subscriptions that kept coming to the house. In one place, one of the old roommates left an entire closet full of the stuff.

So I used it as long as it was free. It was okay. Didn't do what the commercials said.

It turns out, most of my face problems were very likely due to poor sleep habits and drinking too much milk. Now, I use a very mild cleanser and the Clarisonic brush (sometimes) and my face is pretty clear.

4. ZRadach

ZRadachMember

Threads:
    I once used it as well, but found out that what works better is dietary alterations. High fat diets like the typical american ones tend to lower the immune system and promote inflammation, whereas plant foods tend to do the opposite. Whole plant foods even more so. This will reduce breakouts and lower inflammation at the breakout site.

I have peer revoiewed journal entries to back this up.

Thanks for reading! :)

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    With the proliferation of herbal medication for acne, I am advising the young people to be patronize only the established brands and should be on the lookout for the phrase - no approved therapeutic claims. Even in home tv shopping, I have seen so many of their bogus products that I'm wondering why the department of trade is not onto it. There is no immediate cure for acne like those medications they advertise so beware.

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One of the things you need to do so as to prevent the onset of acne is to refrain from touching your face with your bare hands. Also, choose an anti-bacterial facial wash. It doesn't really matter what brand as long as it contains ingredients that fight off germs. In addition, regularly apply a facial mask to remove dead skin cells and excess oil from your face. Stop eating oily foods and eat lots of fiber to help you detox. The best way to prevent acne is to cleanse your physiological system.

7. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    My son is 12 and starting to get acne on his forehead and nose. I was considering buying Proactive, he saw the commercial and thought it would work for him. I'm glad I can read real reviews of the product before I waste my money on something that doesn't work. A friends of ours told us that if he cuts out milk out of his diet it would help clear up his acne. Apparently cow's milk is full of hormones which can turn on the the oil glands. We've tried this and have noticed some improvement. He's also washing daily with a facial cleanser with salicylic acid and that seems to help as well. Then he applies a topical cream for the blemishes. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't believe anyone should use Pro Active. I think it is way too harsh for your skin, no matter how bad it is. There are good products out there that are made with natural ingredients, Are not harsh, are made for sensitive skin and are Hypoallergenic. I would recommend Kiehls products. They work great, don't leave your skin looking brassy, patchy and over dried, and do a lot to clear it out.
    Products like Proactive will leave your skin way to dry and damaged.

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Here is the article from Jezebel from a couple years ago, which details all the bad experiences people had with ordering Proactiv and trying to cancel their recurring billing/shipments:

As for some alternative treatments, a personal favorite of mine (and I'm not ashamed to say this even though I'm a guy, lol) is the Queen Helene brand Mint facial. You can find it at places like CVS or Rite Aid. It's a pretty large tube which lasts a while and it's reasonably priced. It's more of a clay-ish type mask that you have to wash off rather than peel off, but it works really well. Not only does it draw bacteria and impurities out of your skin, but it also does a great job of tightening up your pores too. You can really feel it working too, since it has a cooling/tingling feel while it's on your face.

10. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I've never had to use it, thankfully. However, I know some friends and family members who have used it, and they speak very highly of the results theyve gotten. So I think you have to be careful about stereotyping this product as bad, despite some of the negative reviews.

11. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    Thanks for sharing your experiences on this product, as well as jezebel. I never knew that proactive would use such low tactics when it comes to cancelation. I also wouldn't work for a company that had bad ethics but I guess these people are being paid well enough where it doesn't bother their conscience. I guess I'm not the only one that suffers from milk causing acne. I could use a bit more of a plant based diet but I'm no celeb cook. No wonder we have what others call the "SAD" diet.

12. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I tried Proactiv several years ago and had an allergic reaction, I'm assuming from the benzoyl peroxide. It burnt my skin, too. But, I will say that Proactiv customer service was amazing. I called them to return the product and they issued a full refund to my credit card within 24 hours of my phone call. I didn't have to return the product or prove anything. They were completely apologetic even though, honestly, they weren't at fault. I just didn't know prior to using the product that I had the allergy or sensitive skin. So as far as the product, I won't use it again (because of my own sensitivities) but I would recommend the company based on the way they treated me as a customer.

13. Brenda Barnousky

Brenda BarnouskyActive Member

Threads:
    I ordered Proactiv for my daughter a few years ago. It worked great for awhile, then it stopped working. I didn't like the fact that they automatically put me on a monthly shipment plan. It was difficult to get them to end it. It was more trouble than it was worth for us.

14. MichelleVL

MichelleVLMember

Threads:
    The experience with Proactiv in my household was a positive one. My brother was 14 years old when he started developing acne. His face turned from a baby face, to bumps, swells, and acne scars. He was really embarrassed about his acne because he was being picked on at school, and became very depressed as well because of it. My father saw several Proactiv infomercials and he was sold on the product. My brother began the treatment, and slowly but surely he started looking like himself again. He regained his confidence and seemed pretty content all around. When he no longer needed the product my father cancelled his subscription and that was that. The product was a success and the customer service was excellent.

15. lookatalthea

lookataltheaMember

Threads:
    I agree with what others have mentioned about billing. I don't like being automatically charged for anything unless it's my car insurance! I feel like any kind of obligatory commitment is too much, especially without being able to try the product first. It just seems scammy.

As far as the product itself is concerned, I have always heard it touted as the "acne cure all" system. I tried it myself and my experience was not very good. It was just strong enough to burn my face but not strong enough to clear my acne! That was years ago, thankfully. Now I use the regimen from acne.org. It's a great value. You get a lot of product for a very reasonable price, and it works so well that it should cost much more!

16. XLS

XLSMember

Threads:

I too used proactive and had this same issue and agreed never to use it again. Years later I used a little dab on a pimple and and it made it worse. They say that is common with proactive but my acne wasn't too bad. To see a spread signified some type of reaction for me.

They sell a bunch of facial brushes. I saw one at Walmart not too far back and it was about $25. Pair it up with a cleanser, natural or store bought and you are good to go.

17. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When my acne was at its worst and I was still gullible enough to buy into celebrity endorsed products, I did try this product. My skin can take pretty much anything, so ProActive didn't irritate my skin at all. It just didn't make a jot of difference. I used up the line I'd bought and never went back for more. I was sorely disappointed :(

18. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The best solution for acne, is a well balanced diet that is suited to your personal unique needs. But I understand that people will often want something to mask the outward manifestation of the acne, whilst they approach a new healthier diet. But in the end it can all be traced back to one thing. Diet, and possibly surroundings.

19. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass...That's what everyone says, but diet never did anything to help my acne. I grew up in a house where healthy eating was a huge thing. Sweets, chocolate, cakes and even pop were only given to us as a treat. But my acne would just not barge. Even now I'm not overly huge on unhealthy food, I eat very healthy for the most part.

I think the thing with acne is that there's no 'one size fits all' solution, each case is different. I've even heard some people say chocolate is a trigger for them, yet it doesn't have any effect on me. My break outs often seem random or linked to that time of the month.

20. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    Do you know of you are having other problems like some type of hormone imbalance or just having a reaction to something? I know for some of us girls we might have acne problems around the time of our period.