Product Placement In Movies And TV

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by DrRipley • Nov 1, 2013.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    What is your opinion of advertising in movies and TV? I personally don't have a problem with it, at least not yet. I've seen some comments online stating how much they hate it. I think it's a necessary evil, though, since no one else would usually gamble a significant amount of funds for movies and TV shows other than the big companies.

2. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    Advertising in movies and TV it's a business like any other. The shows know their credibility takes a blow when they do it, but if they need the money I see no other way but to advertise. No problem for me, I'll keep watching it if it's interesting.

3. Annetteb

AnnettebActive Member

Threads:
    They have been advertising in movies and on tv for a long time. They did make yhem tone it down a bit, but I see that it is becoming more prominent. I think that it is not a bad thing. Everyone has to make money some way and advertising in a movie and on tv is a good way to do it.

4. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Depends on how it's done. I don't care if the characters drink Coke instead of generic cola brand, but if they stop mid-way to tell us how amazing these new Subway sandwiches are, like in Hawaii 5-0.. No, thanks.

5. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have no problem in product placement in movies and TV. As long as it's not really distracting then it's okay. I even find some product placements to be very amusing. It really depends on how it's done. It's not like you would have a bad time watching because of these product placements. Besides, they need the money to make more movies and TV shows.

6. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I totally agree. If the actors stop to throw in a name brand, and it doesn't fit into the story, I think that is going overboard. If the product makes sense with the plot or story that week, I don't mind. It seems like it is a fine line for advertisers. They see it as free advertisement.

7. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't even care if they throw in a brand or something, it's when they actually stop the relevant dialogue and go into a tangent about how their product is the best around..
    And by the way, it's definitely not a free advertisement, they pay good money to get in. .)

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If the advertising is not obtrusive [like the placement of some brand on a table in such a way that the brand name is caught by the camera] I wouldn't mind that. But there are some movie-makers who take it overboard. I once watched an Indian movie that would superimpose real ads ["some-brand condom is the best" - something like that]. . .

. . .in another they had some animated text that hopped all over the screen. . .

. . .such ads can be very annoying.

From then on I stopped watching Indian movies.

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I honestly don't even notice it unless they stop and sell it lol. We're so surrounded by advertising, it would make sense to see it in every movie.

10. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As long as it's not this:

:D

11. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have a problem with it. It is what it is I don't see why anyone would have a problem with it it's normal advertising it's business just like any other.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that's subtle advertising, but I don't mind seeing them at all. I wonder why some people are bothered by it. All I care about when I'm watching a
    movie is that it must not suck.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've seen that clip too, and have seen this happen on some of my favorite shows. I agree, it's best if they just do it subtly, I think the quality of the show somehow gets cheapened once they start promoting the product like a home shopping network.

14. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Even if it's slipped carefully into a scene, i think it always ends up being too forced because i know they are trying to sell me that. So no, it's not because that it has or has not something to sell me in a movie that i don't like it, i would just like them to stop doing it such manners.