Pros & Cons to owning a Smartphone?

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by Scottie • Apr 14, 2014.

1. Scottie

ScottieMember

Threads:
    What are the pros & cons to owning a smartphone? I have a "dumb phone" - Motorola razr and don't want to upgrade. Do you think more people have Smartphones than "dumb phones?

2. Magicman94

Magicman94Member

Threads:
    I think more people do have smartphones now a days. The advantage is that you can do more on a smartphone, but it can also cost you more, both to buy and in monthly service charges. Most new phones are smartphones, although I've certainly seen plenty of "dumb phones" in stores.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yes, more people definitely have smart phones at this point.

The main downside is the cost obviously. In order to have a smart phone, you usually also have to have a data package. Even if you don't use the data much, it's still a cost that's obviously going to make your overall bill higher.

4. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    Honestly I can't imagine my life anymore without a smartphone. I would say the biggest "pro" of a smartphone is the fact that it can access the internet wherever you are so you can always get the information you need. The "con" would be the batter life, battery life on smart phones don't last as long as "old" phones haha.

5. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah and you have to be really careful about your data. I don't know if it depends on the phone but I ended up using a lot of the data I payed for on my library. I did not know you had to turn it off every time you don't need it.

Yes, especially if your phone is an Iphone which a lot of people seem to have nowadays. However, my mom got me something for Christmas that charges your devices up by battery. Boy I tell you that was a lifesaver especially when we were traveling and there was no outlets nearby.

6. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think that there is any downside at all in owning a smart phone because it can help you in many different ways. I honestly believe that it's the greatest invention in the 20th century because it has made our lives easier than ever. We can now take down notes, take pictures and videos, read e-mails, and do a lot more stuff just by bringing our handy smart phones everywhere we go.

The smartphone may be pricey, but it's definitely worth it especially in the fast-paced world that we are living in today. In fact, I think that owning a smartphone is a must if we want to keep up with our peers in the industry that we're working in.

7. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have an iPhone, and I like it; but truthfully, in my case, I would do just as well with a plain old phone most of the time. I use it to talk, a little bit to text; and whenever I want to take a picture. Since it is so small, I can't really read it well enough to use it for surfing the internet; reading news, or much of anything that requires reading. I do check the weather on it sometimes; and when desperate; i will check my email if i am away from my iPad.
    However; I live with the iPad beside me almost night and day, and could not possibly get along without that.

8. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    There are no cons to owning a Smart phone.

In my opinion there is no better phone to have. A Smart phone is basically a mini computer that can fit in your pocket. Smart phones are basically a tablet. The only difference is the screen size. There is no phone better than the Smart Phone. There would be no advantage to buying a regular cell phone.

They have nothing to offer that you would not find in a Smart phone.

9. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I think more people have Smartphones now, it's fairly cheap nowadays, there's really no reason not to get one. But I still stick with my Blackberry Bold (is that considered a smartphone?) solely because of the keypad, I hated typing on touchscreen, its not accurate and my God its a pain in the butt. But seriously dude, "dumb phones' aren't going to be back or will be staying for so long now.

10. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It took me a long time to make the switch from a dumb phone to a smartphone. The main upside is that it's like a hand held day planner. I use a lot of productivity apps. It's a godsend. I care more about that than anything else.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    The advantages to smartphones are that you can be constantly connected and have all the answers to everything on your fingertips, as well as having a bunch of media and entertainment to fill your time whenever you find yourself stuck waiting such as standing in line. This serves as the downside for me as well, since having all this convenience available to you just eliminates too much of your need to interact with people. In the past, whenever I was stuck in line, I'd usually make small talk with other people in line, but nowadays, I just play games or browse online and the other people in line do the same as well.

12. sully3333

sully3333Member

Threads:
    The only downside I can think of is the extra cost. Other than that, I think that smartphones are better in all aspects.

13. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Having a smartphone has many pros! The only con I can think of is that battery life is way smaller. While with a regular phone battery can go up to a week, a smart phone generally needs to be charged every single day, if not several times a day depending on usage. But the pros are you have the world in your hands! You can download apps, and there are apps for EVERYTHING, it's easier to talk to people (aside from calling and texting you can use Skype, Whatsapp, Viber, Snapchat, Facebook - you name it). I could never go back to a regular phone!

14. oldwriter

oldwriterMember

Threads:
    If you are happy with your dumb phone, you keep it for as long as possible.

I believe that the eventual fate of the dumb phone is the same as the "rotary dial" phone. Having less and less market presence, then disappear.

. It is not far fetched to think it will only take a few years after the release of these cheaper smartphones to push for these "dumb ones" not to be manufactured anymore.

#14Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  15. ghostwheel

ghostwheelMember

Threads:
    Don't throw out your old phones. Apparently, they're coming back in fashion and may be worth quite a lot :

Wish I kept my Nokia 8210 now; that was a rather nice compact mobile back in the day.

There's also a niche market for simple phones designed for OAPs; they generally feature less functions and large buttons as to make it easier to make calls. This is ideal for those who just prefer pressing one or two buttons to call family members.

As for myself, I prefer the latest smartphone to be as connected as possible to the net and for work related functionality (emails, console terminals etc)